EV buying criteria - What's important to you?

For all the perfectly logical people here, go for a test drive. Or drive a friends.
Tip: You might need to bring a child to help you decipher the touch screen. Remember, there ain't no knobs...
Your sound logic will go right out the window.
Don't ask me how I know.

Have fun!

Its really nice to have a 500 mile fuel tank. It’s OK to have an assured 300+ mile fuel tank. Vehicles that start to look really low before hitting 300 miles are a bit annoying for longer trips or some of the driving I do.

So I’d say a cost effective 350 mile range.

I’m not one enamored by posh interiors. I prefer simple, clean design. I don’t like big control screens. Don’t want/need a ton of fancy stuff.

Gotta say ... it looks pretty hot.
Musk said, at the surprise Roadster 2 unveil, that this car was totally unnecessary.
But this car will give a serious smackdown to any ICE car at any price.
0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds, or less.
0 to 100 in 4.2 seconds.
Quarter mile in 8.8 seconds.
600 mile range.
$200K

All these performance specs will likely be beat with the new battery design due to lighter weight. Heck, right now batteries will be the better part of 4,000 pounds alone.
And he wants to put rocket boosters on the back to avoid further traction limitations.

When I worked for Tesla I suggested to Elon that a model that was a 4 seat two door sports coupe, about the size of the original Infiniti G35, attractively styled with good range and with a dashboard more reminiscent of a conventional car and without a 17" touch screen dominating the console might be a good seller.

He smiled and said their marketing research department said at this time, the Model S and Model 3 (it was before the Model Y was in full production) met the needs of most customers. But he likes the idea of the roadster and a vehicle to compete with the BMW and Audi sport coupes and wouldn't rule them out in the future. They are just not a priority now.

I will be buying a second vehicle soon, mainly as a weekend driver & fun car. Practicality is unimportant. A stylish, sporty, high performance EV sports coupe with a range of 600 miles would be a strong contender. But we just aren't there yet.

From a pure performance/fun car, I can't wait for the ev cars in this segment. I think they will be loads of fun, the instant acceleration and torque.

Something like my 981 but EV and 100k or less and I am interested. It's such a small segment, I won't hold my breath.

When I worked for Tesla I suggested to Elon that a model that was a 4 seat two door sports coupe, about the size of the original Infiniti G35, attractively styled with good range and with a dashboard more reminiscent of a conventional car and without a 17" touch screen dominating the console might be a good seller.
Having a dash that is not inspired by the back wall of Walmart is high on my list of requirements for an EV.

Ed

Charging time. If I could charge the car at a gas station in 15 minutes and get 300 miles I would buy one today!

Tesla 3 and Y is about half that providing the battery is low enough and pre conditioned.

The 4680 pack should get it closer to 200.

I am curious... How often do you drive 250 miles in 1 day?
I think most people drive less than 40 miles per day.

My commute is 40 miles, but with things being what they are, if I can't charge it every night, I don't want to have an electric paperweight on the street. Almost nowhere has street charging and public charging is outrageously expensive in NYC.

My driving cycle and use drove me to a Volt.

~30 mile/day commute covered quite nicely by my 45 mile range (50 miles in spring/fall) and I just plug in every evening upon arrival from work.

Yet, I can drive cross country without any thought to electrons, if needed. My actual longest trip in this car has been a 120 mile round-trip and I generally run 98+% on electrons.

If it weren't for the forced running of the stinker to clear out gas and do system checks, I might have burned 10 gallons of gas in 25k miles. As it is, I have burned about 20. I try to keep the tank low, so I won't have to "waste" gas.

I'm not a Ford fan so I bring no bias towards this salvo by Ford into EV's. But with a 300 mile range option and the pleasant surprise of Ford finally upping their game on interior quality, this will likely be my next vehicle purchase. Would be my first Ford! Yeah, naming it a 'Mustang" is silly. Not because it is an EV but due to having 4 doors :rolleyes:. Despite that misguided use of the name, this vehicle promises to offer things I want that Tesla does not have. Better fit and finish (presumably*), a genuine dealer network, and enough familiar traditional cues that help it feel less like a science fiction prop and more like a vehicle many folks could adapt to as we transtion away from ICEs. Good job Ford!!! In this video series, Alex covers the features of the car in Part 1 and then does a 2nd video to show how it drives. I'm sensing that we are getting ever closer to EV's with potential for mainstream acceptance. Will there be hiccups, sure. There are always hiccups with high levels of innovation. It's prudent to remember though that EV's have only received serious investment for R & D recently while ICEs have had over a century of R&D focus. ICEs will not be disappearing for a long time, but I have to say that after having driven an EV at a EV demonstration of EV concepts, the torque alone is intoxicating and will help to persuade naysayers.

PART 1:
PART 2:

Last edited:
I'm not a Ford fan so I bring no bias towards this salvo by Ford into EV's. But with a 300 mile range option and the pleasant surprise of Ford finally upping their game on interior quality, this will likely be my next vehicle purchase. Would be my first Ford! Yeah, naming it a 'Mustang" is silly. Not because it is an EV but due to having 4 doors :rolleyes:. Despite that misguided use of the name, this vehicle promises to offer things I want that Tesla does not have. Better fit and finish (presumably*), a genuine dealer network, and enough familiar traditional cues that help it feel less like a science fiction prop and more like a vehicle many folks could adapt to as we transtion away from ICEs. Good job Ford!!! In this video series, Alex covers the features of the car in Part 1 and then does a 2nd video to show how it drives. I'm sensing that we are getting ever closer to EV's with potential for mainstream acceptance. Will there be hiccups, sure. There are always hiccups with high levels of innovation. It's prudent to remember though that EV's have only received serious investment for R & D recently while ICEs have had over a century of R&D focus. ICEs will not be disappearing for a long time, but I have to say that after having driven an EV at a EV demonstration of EV concepts, the torque alone is intoxicating and will help to persuade naysayers.

PART 1:
PART 2:

Drive the new 'Stang and a Model Y. My money is on the Y.
But I will be curious to get your comaprison thoughts.

Drive the new 'Stang and a Model Y. My money is on the Y.
But I will be curious to get your comaprison thoughts.
That's a definite good idea Jeffkeryk. Now that Ford, GM, VW and others are taking off the gloves and going 'all in' on EVs, I have a feeling that Elon's remarkable (if eccentric) trailblazing will likely go the way of Mr. Tucker. Although, I would bet that Tesla survives as a brand and likely in a future context of EV racing or exotic EV sports cars. Bur for the mainstream masses, its hard to see Tesla carving out a chunk of car market share even as EV sales gradually but steadily climb. The last North American attempt at getting into the car business on a decent scale was Henry J. Kaiser and his partner Frazer. That brand has been gone a LONGGGGG time.

Back