European vs. American vehicle oil requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
1L of mineral oil $4-6, depending where you live.
1L of synthetics $15-20, depending where you live.

yes, I have driven in Europe,
yes, I do have a valid EU driver's license,
Yes, I know the different driving styles between Europe and the US.

Who would want to do a 3k mi or 5k km OCI's? Not me at those prices.

Woo boy, I feel a little guilty as my comments
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=012679;p=1#000013
appear to have provoked a bunch of this. At least I did label part of it as Off Topic
dunno.gif

Anyhow just to clarify:
1. Yes Russia as defined in any sense of the last 300 years or so spans Europe and Asia. The Urals seem a reasonable demarcation point, but YMMV.
2. I did not intend to include Russia in my version of European Oil standards. Part of this is my age. I do have to remind myself, not of the geography of Europe, but of its role in the Political Economy of Europe. Part of this is just old thinking of divided Europe of my youth. But hey I was in East Germany 14 years ago just after unification and lots of people were driving two stroke Trabants, so maybe I can get some slack for not rolling my expectations of modern industrial standards eastwards immediately. We had a ton of Russian Ladas in Canada in the late 1970s. While the russian mafia and nomenclatura no doubt drive new BMWs I think that shabbily assembled versions of 1960s Fiats held together with carpet glue is probably more representative of the average Russian vehicle. So asking what standards are good enough for the Russian motorist seems a tad excessive. I admit I was not really including former communist states in my expectation of industrial and consumer standards. Although I think it would probably be reasonable to include the Czech and Slovak Republics (yes...I had to stop myself from writing Czechoslovakia)or Hungary in a discussion of states in which you might find modern standards, I don't know that the same would apply to Russia or Romania or Moldova. Perhaps I should have said "Oil standards of EU member states" or "Oil standards of Western Industrial democracies of Europe".
As an analogy, and I am not trying to be glib here, but I would not consider an opinion of American standards to be invalidated because American nations like Mexico or Bolivia or Belize used were not included. Okay I guess including Belize is evidence of glibness...mea culpa.

3. The RANGE of temperature conditions is broader in a huge and heavily populated stretch of Central North America than in Western Europe. Someone mentioned Stockholm. Excellent.Thank You.Take a look at Chicago or Toronto. The Average high in July is 5 or 6 Degrees celsius higher and the average low in February is 5 or 6 degrees lower here. I won't even start on the humidity.

4. The RANGE of driving conditions here is enormous. Distances can be huge meaning long trips are common. Traffic in cities is horrifying but public transit as a useful service for the non-indigent is almost non-existant outside New York City. People can, will and must drive their cars through a huge range of services.
My aunt in England freaked out when I just wanted to jump in the car and drive two hundred miles. We think nothing of that here. In England that would be covering half the country. European city traffic is a nightmare but there are alternatives used by many. Most people I know who live in suburban London would barely ever think of driving right into the city. They take the bleedin tube Guv'nor.

All that I was saying was that in advertising to a common market that stretches from the deserts of the Southwest to the Permafrost of northern Canada, you are going to have to cover a lot of bases. People reading your marketing in their native langauge of English residing in Houston Texas or Fort MacMurray Alberta will be looking at the same propaganda and expecting it to meet the needs of their climate. People in Buffalo will expect it to address their Winters (brutal) and their summers (sweltering). Drivers in Boston and Butte and Bakersfield and Boca will be expecting you to cover their mix of city and highway driving.

All the discussion of where the border of Europe and Asia is and how cold or hot it is in Stockholm kinda misses that point.

I think that most current oils of most reasonable grades would actually do fine for most drivers in most conditions. But variables like range of temperatures, range of driving conditions, cost of raw materials, space to do your own work and tradition all contribute to influence these regional differences

I could stir up another hornets nest with my doubts about the "thinner is better" mantra and I drive European cars with at least a 40weight oil, so I am not even really challenging the technical basis of Euro oil standards. I think it has to do more with the market.

I hesitate to bring it up now but what about fuel quality? I have always been led to believe that European diesel is much cleaner than here in North America. True? It seems to be, judging from my limited experience generally confined to driving rentals in Europe. Does Euro diesel dump less crap into oil? What about gasoline? My recollection was that leaded gas lasted longer in europe, which while not cleaner at least could have some anti wear effects.

I wonder if people considered Russia part of Europe when it was the Soviet Union? Now that it's not communist anymore, it's politically correct to call some of it Europe? LOL

Here in the States, specifically in the Illinois school system, we are taught that "Russia" is part of Aisa, not Europe.

>Have you ever actually driven in Europe?
>Although you're right about most cars being >scrapped because of corrosion or the fact that >repairs/maintenance necessary to keep the car >legal would far exceed the cost of replacing the >vehicle with a new one.

Lived in Europe, driven in Europe; also other parts of the world, and of course the US. My sister lives in Belgium and is engaged to a car-crazy Italian, who personifies all the European driving cliches.

Why do you ask though? Did I offend? I didn't mean to. Those are the realities of European driving as I've experience them, but I'm curious, what among that do you not think is the case? Most of the parts of Europe that we think of when we consider European driving are heavily populated. The cities are old, mostly built before auto traffic. So you have dense cities combined with crowded, high-speed expressways, and in my experience much of driving consists of racing along the expressways between your origin and destination cities, with heavy traffic and difficult driving in both highway and city regimes.

I guess it's not all that way. There are lots of pleasant drives, lots of small towns separated by country roads. I mean... it's beautiful, rich country - I don't mean to sound insulting. I'm just reporting the differences I've observed - often they are, I think, more cultural than anything else.

Temperature-exteme-wise, many parts of the world have them, and most of Europe doesn't happen to be among those parts. Much of the US is.

- Glenn

quote:

Originally posted by 99:
Here in the States, specifically in the Illinois school system, we are taught that "Russia" is part of Aisa, not Europe.

The American Public School System...
frown.gif
thumbsdown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Paranoil:
Stockholm for example:
Winter (low): average -5C peak -28C
Summer (high): average 22C peak 35C

More examples from the Nordic region:
Official Record low:
Finland, Kittila: -51.5ºC 1999 (unofficial -57ºC 1999).
Sweden, Arjeplog: -52.6ºC 1966 (unofficial -54ºC 1999).
Norway, Karasjok, -51.4ºC 1886, -51.2ºC 1999 (unofficial -53ºC 1999).

Speaking of Germany, the best places to haul *** on the Autobahn are in the old Eastern part as they are not as developed as the West yet a lot of money has gone into building new roads there. The A4 to Dresden has several excellent stretches where 120+ mph may be reached for long periods of time. My rental topped out around 110 but cars were flying past.

quote:

Originally posted by bar1:

quote:

Originally posted by Paranoil:
Stockholm for example:
Winter (low): average -5C peak -28C
Summer (high): average 22C peak 35C

More examples from the Nordic region:
Official Record low:
Finland, Kittila: -51.5ºC 1999 (unofficial -57ºC 1999).
Sweden, Arjeplog: -52.6ºC 1966 (unofficial -54ºC 1999).
Norway, Karasjok, -51.4ºC 1886, -51.2ºC 1999 (unofficial -53ºC 1999).

I guess if we were driving in 1886 that would be impressive
grin.gif

It is the common range that is the issue. Not the absolute historical low.

So taking stockholm for example using those numbers (the data I looked up had low of -4 in Feb and high of 21C in july, but lets use what was quoted) :
Winter (low): -5C (or 23 F for Americans)
Summer (high): 22C (or 72 F for Americans)
and Copare to Toronto:
Winter (low): -11C (or 12 F for americans)
Summer (high): 28C (or 82 F for Americans)

The spread from normal low in February to normal high in July in Stockholm is 27 C (or 51 F). In Toronto that spread is 39 C (or 70 F). And there are lots of cities around here that have at least as big a spread. Toronto is actually milder than most cities in the region. Chicago is worse. And there are 100 million people living in these cities all reading the same manufacturer and industry information in English thinking that it all applies to them. Not 10 Laplanders and Yak. We can all pick obscure locations with extreme temperatures. The entire northern part of my home Province of Ontario is 25C every day in July and -25 C every day in February. I am quite sure it also gets to -51 at least once every 120 years but that's not really the point of the diuscussion of routine daily driving conditions as could reasonably be foreseen by oil and or auto manufacturers.

So to recapitulate, a climate that is:
high 20s to low 30s every day in July (80s-90s Farenheit)
minus teens every day in February (around 10 Farenheit)
populated by 100 million people
All reading manufacturer and vendor specs in English as part of an undifferentiated market.
Is highly mobile (might move from Minnesota to Arizona any time)

There might just be an incentive for manufacturers to cover some bases.

Also add in demographics like lack of mass transit forcing lots of city driving, enormous distances creating a range of driving conditions etc.

Also add in cultural factors. I have a 3 car garage and I live on a small lot by north american standards. Most people have space to do their own oil changes if they wish.

Then of course the usual random noise. People like thick. People like thin. Maybe right maybe wrong. Hey it took the french 50 years to give up that nutty idea that tinting their car headlights improved visibility. Maybe American CAFE mandated 5w20 or euro 50 weight oils are the yellow headlights of the 21st century.

Hey I don't pretend to know why manufacturers create different specs, but at least the above is a step towards explaing a rationale.

The measure of speed generally used when setting speed limits is the 85th percentile speed. This is the speed at or below which 85% of vehicles travel. On motorways in the UK, the 85th percentile speed for cars is approximately 85 mph, i.e. 15 mph above the current limit. Removal of the current uk speed limit of 70mph altogether would be expected to lead to an increase in the 85th percentile speed to no more than 95 mph, which is the current level on those autobahns in Germany that are unrestricted.

quote:

Originally posted by MGBV8:
The measure of speed generally used when setting speed limits is the 85th percentile speed. This is the speed at or below which 85% of vehicles travel. On motorways in the UK, the 85th percentile speed for cars is approximately 85 mph, i.e. 15 mph above the current limit. Removal of the current uk speed limit of 70mph altogether would be expected to lead to an increase in the 85th percentile speed to no more than 95 mph, which is the current level on those autobahns in Germany that are unrestricted.

cool. Interesting data.

Anecdotally i would say that the 85th percentile speed here in Canada on roads with a speed limit of 100 km/h is between 120 and 125 km/h.

The problem is all the people driving 100 km/h in the passing lane, or even worse in parallel across all lanes and never looking in their mirrors and generally jamming up everything.

In any self respecting country these people would be dragged from their cars and shot. Here the slavish deference to authority in lieu of common sense leads to people believing they are virtuous and as long they keep below the speed limit they can be oblivious and dangerous drivers.

The existence of the 70 mph UK motorway speed limit has a number of negative effects, many of them on driver behaviour. Poor lane discipline, driving too close to the vehicle in front and bunching of traffic are related problems, leading to danger and inefficient use of the capacity of the road. Since few car drivers travel significantly below 70 mph on motorways in normal conditions, a driver who wants to overtake slower moving traffic without breaking the law can occupy the overtaking lane for several miles. This leads to a queue of potentially faster vehicles building up behind, often at headways which are too short for safety. The inner lanes may be under utilised and impatience may tempt drivers to overtake on the inside.
These effects can be seen quite clearly when a marked police car is in evidence, resulting in traffic in all lanes travelling at virtually the same speed and bunched together. Similar conditions arise where a heavy goods vehicle is attempting to overtake another. Since vehicles of more than 7.5 tonnes gross vehicle weight are restricted to 56 mph by speed limiters, differential speeds are extremely low, leading to the centre lane often being obstructed for long periods. The effects described above are much less in evidence on European motorways, where higher speed limits lead to a greater range of vehicle speeds, quicker overtaking can be achieved legally and there is less bunching of traffic. It is undesirable to create conditions under which speed differentials are so low that traffic in all lanes is travelling at much the same speed, since a relatively minor incident can lead to a multiple accident involving many vehicles.
Another effect of the current UK speed limit is loss of driver concentration. In particular, where traffic flows are relatively light and weather conditions are good, a driver's attention is likely to wander if forced to drive below the natural cruising speed of car and driver

MGBV8 I agree completely. We have some 75mph interstates here in CO, and all the problems you've described are common. In fact, we have a recent new law that states that on roads with speed limits of 65 and above, the left lane must be used only for passing. It has helped the problem slightly, I believe.

Still, that is one aspect of European driving that is vastly superior to here in NA.

I have noticed that on most western interstates, in areas where traffic is not heavy, lane discipline is quite decent. It's fairly rare to come up behind somebody who won't move from the left lane. Whether this is because of the driver mix or some other factor, I don't know - but driving across Wyoming or Montana, for example, can be done safely and enjoyably at quite high speeds.

quote:

Originally posted by peterr:
...And there are 100 million people living in these cities all reading the same manufacturer and industry information in English thinking that it all applies to them. Not 10 Laplanders and Yak...

I didn't say Europe had a bigger population living in severe climate, did I? I said Europe have people living in severe climate.

Let's look at the population numbers above the polar circle (arctic region):
Alaska 481 000
Canada 93 000
Sweden 264 000
Norway 380 000
Finland 200 000
Russia 2 000 000

A little more than a Yak..
And don't make fun of those Laplanders
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MGBV8:
It is undesirable to create conditions under which speed differentials are so low that traffic in all lanes is travelling at much the same speed, since a relatively minor incident can lead to a multiple accident involving many vehicles.

I have been led to believe that high differential speeds is more dangerous. It also seems more intuitive, slow moving old lady changing lanes in front of faster semi-trailer sort of scenario. In addition, I've noticed some reports connecting an increasing number of rear endings occurring with the increasing use of high occupancy lanes, ie someone changing lanes from a bumper-to-bumper lane into the freely moving HOV lane. Came upon such a scenario myself recently.

I believe oil changes are only an annual experience for most Europeans. However this is coming from from only a few Europeans I know in Germany and France. They both stated their annual mileage is about 10,000 - 15,000 km.

This oil change with the quality oil (hopefully) costs anywhere from $60-$110.

Average mileage is significantly lower than the US due to the higher expenses of auto's and availability of great non-auto concentric transportation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back