European Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was mentioned that ExxonMobil is the largest producer of oils in Europe. Does anyone have any specs on what they run over there, such as the 5w-50? I'd be curious to know if the 10w-30 or 5w-30 is A3 rated. If it even exists.

Buster,

A cursory review of the info on the websites makes it look like Exxon (Esso) markets dino oils and they steer you to Mobil 1 if you are interested in synthetics. I couldn't find any product data sheets for the dinos.

pscholte, thanks.
cheers.gif
I found the same thing. I'm wondering if the syn lubes other then the 5w-50 even exist?
dunno.gif

I'm guessing no, and you know that would make sense. Unless marketing analysis indicates there is a fierce loyalty to Esso branded products (I'm guessing there isn't), why not take advantage of Mobil's dominant position in the synthetic market instead of trying to duplicate the line? A customer pulls into an Esso station, wants a synthetic, and there's the M1 lineup waiting for him.

Exxon/Mobil produces several products for retail sale in Europe. One of the most popular gasoline passenger car oils is Esso Ultron 5W-40. It is API rated SL/CF, ACEA A3, B3, B4, and meets all of the Euro engine manufacturer ratings such as BMW Longlife, VW 502, 505, MB 229.3, Peugeot PSA E/D level 3, Porsche and Opel Longlife.

Mobil also has their full line of synthetics also with a few viscosities not found in North America. They have products such as Mobil Synt S 5W-40 which is a synthetic gas/diesel passenger car oil. They have a full lne of Delvac products which includes Mobil Delvac XHP Ultra 5W-30 and 10W-40 which is designed for diesel engines in both passenger cars and heavy duty trucks. The 5W-30 holds specific engine engine manufacturer ratings but the 10W-40 is API CF, ACEA B2, B4, E3 rated and also has a long list of heavy duty engine builder ratings.

I guess the list could go on for pages as to what oils are sold by Exxon/Mobil on the European continent. They actually seem to have a much larger product base there than they do here.

fowvay,

Why don't we get so many choices? Do our OEMs make the viscosity stipulations so simple that we don't need the variety? As large a market as the US constitutes you'd think we'd have the variety, UNLESS, like I said our OEMs make it so simple that we don't need it.

I don't mean to sound bad but many things in the USA have been 'dumbed down'. The domestic manufacturers will tell you to simply use a oil that has the API starburst on it. That takes all of the guess work out of motor oil choice. The government wants the manufacturers to improve their fuel economy averages, the manufacturers want to sell high profit gas hog vehicles, and Americans want big, powerful engines with very little regard for efficiency.

Why should the oil manufacturers offer a large variety of products when they can essentially sell a 5W-30 oil that gets changed at 3000 mile intervals? We have far more choices for oil additives and 'snake oil' products than we do for oil itself.

Both Esso and Mobil 1 sell synthetics in Europe but it varies a bit from country to country.

I have some limited specs for both. I'm going to post specs only for Mobil1 oils.
Mentioned 5W-40 Synt S Special V is intended for VW diesels but I'm going to post specs anyways.

5W-40 Synt S Special
Viscosity
cSt@40C_________92.8
cSt@100C________14.1
VIndex__________156
TBN_____________9.7
Pour point________-51
Flash Point_______234
Density
@15C kg/l_______0.857
HT/HS -
ACEA____________A3/B3

10W-40 Super S
Viscosity
cSt@40C_________98
cSt@100C________14.4
VIndex__________157
TBN -
Pour point________-30
Flash Point_______230
Density
@15C kg/l_______0.870
HT/HS___________3.95
ACEA____________A3/B3

0W-30
Viscosity
cSt@40C_________56
cSt@100C________10.3
VIndex__________175
TBN -
Pour point________-54
Flash Point_______234
Density
@15C kg/l_______0.851
HT/HS___________2.99
ACEA____________A1/B1,A5/B5

0W-40
Viscosity
cSt@40C_________80
cSt@100C________14.3
VIndex__________187
TBN -
Pour point________-54
Flash Point_______236
Density
@15C kg/l_______0.855
HT/HS___________3.6
ACEA____________A3/B3

5W-50
Viscosity
cSt@40C_________104.9
cSt@100C________17.5
VIndex__________184
TBN -
Pour point________-54
Flash Point_______236
Density
@15C kg/l_______0.859
HT/HS___________4.21
ACEA____________A3/B3

I hope this will provide some useful info. I have to look for specs on US 0W-40 to see if they are identical .
Let me know if you're interested in specs for Esso/Exxon synthetics.

[ August 13, 2003, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: F1Crazy ]

It's a shame the European M1 5W-50 is not available in the US. It would be a nice A3-rated oil for my car!
mad.gif

I believe F1crazy posted most if not all of the Mobil 1 european oils. I was on the sweden webpage today and they advertise a 5w-40 Rally S oil or something like that. They also make a 10w-40. So it's clear Mobil's European oils are spec'd a bit higher with higher HT/HS numbers from the higher viscosity. I'm not sure if this is true with the 5w/10w-30 if they even exist, which I don't think they do over there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back