European city bikes

My 26 year old crossover mountain bike is just a pain to in the semi hunched over position. The European city bikes, Pashley, Royal Gazelle and Skeppshult intrique me but am not sure

How do you use your bike? The high handlebars and relaxed frame of the city bikes put almost all of your weight on the seat, and make it harder to pedal uphill. More of a flat land cruiser.

It's not a big deal to get a higher/shorter stem and bars with some rise for the bike you have to get straightened up.

I concur with @AZjeff. I've observed that upright bikes may look more comfortable, but putting almost all your weight on the seat reduces the power you can deliver to the pedals and is actually less comfortable on anything more than short rides.

If you're commuting a short distance... the upright position is fine.

Not everyone needs to be on a Tour de France type of bike, especially if it doesn't fit their needs.

Cargo bikes, the bike isn't optimized to maximize power on the pedals, it's optimized for comfort... and these aren't exactly lightweight bicycles.

If you're commuting a short distance... the upright position is fine.
Not everyone needs to be on a Tour de France type of bike, especially if it doesn't fit their needs.
True.
Cargo bikes, the bike isn't optimized to maximize power on the pedals, it's optimized for comfort... and these aren't exactly lightweight bicycles.
To clarify something that non-bike-experts might not realize, comfort depends the type of riding. Upright bikes are optimized for comfort for short, easy rides. Optimizing for comfort on longer or more demanding rides, requires different positioning & ergonomics.

True.

To clarify something that non-bike-experts might not realize, comfort depends the type of riding. Upright bikes are optimized for comfort for short, easy rides. Optimizing for comfort on longer or more demanding rides, requires different positioning & ergonomics.
If you go on GCN, even retired pro racers don't mind riding on upright bikes, even e-bikes for longer rides.

Last edited:
Sure, when the upright bike manufacturers pay them to say that (this is GCN after all).
Manufacturers provide pro-racers with race bikes also, doesn't matter if it's GCN or not. When racers win, bike manufacturers get to brag.

Biking is about riding, not how aero you are or how expensive your bike it. Everyone rides for a decent reason. and different reasons have different bikes.

If getting a upright, consider some degree of power assist.
Why? The OP hasn't even replied to some basic questions, a motor might be completely unnecessary, 26 year old crossover MTB is all that 's known. A 1996 Specialized Crossroads for example had a more upright position than a Rockhopper so he's likely not laid out. The trend today is a far more upright position than he remembers. A trip to a bike shop might be in order.

Back