Europe Get Ready - Here Comes CAFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ahh, in the name of clarity it's not the CAFE that the USA is used to.

CAFE in USA is Corporate Average Fuel Economy

CAFE in EU is Clean Air For Europe.

Maybe they are working toward the same goal but I doubt it.

With any luck this policy will help drive cleaner diesel exhaust results and hopefully allow the USA the opportunity to enjoy the highly fuel efficient and fun to drive diesels that Europe is selling. This would also help the domestic US manufacturers CAFE numbers.

Thanks for the article.

Seems like an emissions thing, not a fuel economy requirement like our CAFE .

Right, it's different. But I still believe Europe will be using thinner lubricants, for better or worse.

quote:

But I still believe Europe will be using thinner lubricants

Religious topics aren't allowed here, buster.
wink.gif

Part of Euro CAFE are most likely the new Low SAPS oil specs and various means of emissions control implementation in the latest and future generations of diesel engines.

In case you missed it, buster, VW and Audi's latest oil specs (VW 504 and VW 507) have a minimum HTHS of 3.5. The low HTHS oil specs are going to be dropped, and the thinnest of those was a 0W-30.

Unless we will see 0/5W-20 oils with HTHS =/>3.5, I believe we will see, at least in the case of VW and Audi, mostly 0/5W-30/40 oils in the foreseeable future.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Right, it's different. But I still believe Europe will be using thinner lubricants, for better or worse.

no...No...NO!

cheers.gif
buster

Thanks Mori, I wasn't aware of that. Interesting. I guess it's still anyone's guess.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back