Euro turbos vs Asian Turbos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if there is any real reason why most euro turbos spec 5w-40 and most asian turbo engines spec 5w-30?

And yes I know about CAFE.

I've never seen a European manufacturer that specified a grade, they specify approvals or specifications which often dictate grade. Sometimes two different grades can meet the same approval.

What Asian turbo engine/car are you referring to specifically?

Originally Posted by kschachn
I've never seen a European manufacturer that specified a grade, they specify approvals or specifications which often dictate grade. Sometimes two different grades can meet the same approval.

What Asian turbo engine/car are you referring to specifically?

Alfa explicitly calls for 0w30 in the 2.0T.

Mazda calls for 5w30 in their 2.5T.

OP, do we really know if MOST recommendations are done in the way in which you explain?

The EU is going green.

My high output 1.4 VW specs a 0W20 VW 508.

And it doesn't clatter like a box of nuts when spun up - like my old Honda Fit 1.5L..

I'm heading off to get the oil changed on Tuesday at the dealer. My OLM last week gave notice at 4800 miles and 7+ months. No mention of this in the VW O.M. that I recall, just the 1Y /10K miles service interval.
I'll try to find what oil they will put in. I would assume it's Castrol Professional LL IV FE VW508 approval. I will have them show me the oil container be it bulk or bottled that they are using.

Originally Posted by nicholas
Just wondering if there is any real reason why most euro turbos spec 5w-40 and most asian turbo engines spec 5w-30?

Most euro turbos DON'T spec 5w40.

Edit: btw..some euro makes use Japanese manufactured/designed turbos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Boomer
My 2017 VW Alltrack specs 5W-40 and that is what gets used by the dealer.

Ya but you drive a VW and everyone knows how VW decides on an oil spec in the US.

[Linked Image]

Yes, some European marques specify more viscous motor oils for their hardware.

The approved A40 viscosity options for my OE Porsches' turbochargers include only 0W-40, 5W-40 and 5W-50. Per their manuals.
Note the 5W iterations are for "temperature range above -13°F / -25°C." Not too much trouble with that around my 'hood.
smile.gif

I imagine a few suppliers build and sell all the turbos worldwide. It's also a safe bet the lowest cost manufacturer/supplier may be in the nether regions of Cambodia/Vietnam/India etc by now.

Originally Posted by nicholas

Demands of European roads, which are cultural thing too.
Asian manufacturers call for thick oils in Europe too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
The EU is going green.

My high output 1.4 VW specs a 0W20 VW 508.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
[

Most euro turbos DON'T spec 5w40.

Nevertheless.....wise users are still pouring in sae40 oil instead.....look at major EU automotive forums....mostly 5w40 or 0w40 + MB BMW VW specs....

ILSAC?

I'll try to find what oil they will put in. I would assume it's Castrol Professional LL IV FE VW508 approval. I will have them show me the oil container be it bulk or bottled that they are using.

Be interesting to know how you make out seeing the container, unless they come bottled. They might play the old "can't take you in garage due to insurance regs" game.

Yep - Ferrari and IHI are long time partners, Mercedes also uses IHI, Volvo uses Mitsu turbos.

My feeling unless it's to meet EU GHG regulations(which is why VW and BMW are using thinner oils), thicker oil is a fact of life in Europe due to driving style and other differences between the continents.

Japanese and American driving are quite similar, which is why Japan is a member state of ILSAC.

Originally Posted by nthach

Yep - Ferrari and IHI are long time partners, Mercedes also uses IHI, Volvo uses Mitsu turbos.

My feeling unless it's to meet EU GHG regulations(which is why VW and BMW are using thinner oils), thicker oil is a fact of life in Europe due to driving style and other differences between the continents.

Japanese and American driving are quite similar, which is why Japan is a member state of ILSAC.

BMW used Mitsubishi turbos, in some models, in others Borg-Warner etc. It depends what manufacturer wants and some companies are having some specialization in certain aspects that might fit that particular engine and goal.

Originally Posted by tc1446

Be interesting to know how you make out seeing the container, unless they come bottled. They might play the old "can't take you in garage due to insurance regs" game.

Well VW owns the car so I really don't care other than to bust them if they are playing games.
I think VW tends to use VW stuff from past experience - but I havent been a VW owner since I was married in the late eighties - back then it was a VW Fox 1.8 L 4 door sedan with Robert Bosch KE jetronic - which was lambda feedback control mechanical continuous injection.
Insurance regs? B.S. I just say., " Do you think I was born yesterday" Let's go! or I'll take my service business elsewhere. I always talk to the Sevice Manager if things get silly at the writers desk.

Sorry guys.
Hyundai 2.0 turbo in a 2019 santa fe.
We have had 2 audis and they both speced 5w-40.
Thought it was a common german spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back