EU2000 clogs every month

I’ve never had to do this so much to a honda. I have a 2 year old EU2k. It’s probably got 80 hours on it, and has been bad about surging after sitting. I’ve had it apart 3 times, and clearing the pilot tube every time fixes it. All my fuel has stabil in it, and i added a fuel filter the last time I was in it. It ran one month ago just fine for several hours, but now is back to surging badly. The first one I had 12 years ago never did this, at all. This one is very particular to it.

are some of the copies more prone than others to this? I may start draining the carb after every use, but that’s a pain.
I stopped using Stabil about four years ago when they added a pump for E0 fuel near my primary job. Almost everything in the fleet starts easily on this fuel, even if left on the tank for four months over the winter.

Treat your E10 if that's all you can get. Look for E0 on https://www.pure-gas.org/

I’ve never had to do this so much to a honda. I have a 2 year old EU2k. It’s probably got 80 hours on it, and has been bad about surging after sitting. I’ve had it apart 3 times, and clearing the pilot tube every time fixes it. All my fuel has stabil in it, and i added a fuel filter the last time I was in it. It ran one month ago just fine for several hours, but now is back to surging badly. The first one I had 12 years ago never did this, at all. This one is very particular to it.

are some of the copies more prone than others to this? I may start draining the carb after every use, but that’s a pain.
I have 2 of these, both given to me DOA by family/friends, older models, I've fixed them and use them some but neither does what you describe and I store them with just regular ol pump 93 E10 with a splash of MMO, most of the time I forget to drain the fuel bowl. I also have a Yamaha EF2K and much prefer it to the 2 Hondas I have.

I also have a Honda EU2000i. Awesome little generator.

Mine started surging once and luckily it cleaned up with a lot of Sea Foam.

I fill a 5 gallon gas can at the local pump (E-10) and add the blue marine Stabil 360 (according to the instructions on the bottle) and also add 1oz of 2 cycle oil (TC-W3 is what I use).

Whenever I am done with the generator, I drain the gas tank and run it dry. I then open the carburetor bowl drain screw and pull the starter cord a few times. This helps get any remaining gas out of the lines and float bowl. Then tighten the drain screw and store away.

Any residual gas in the system will evaporate away, leaving a thin oil film that protects against corrosion. Also, this oil film is dissolvable by the fresh gas the next time you need to run the generator.

I've been doing this now for 10 years and don't have any issues with the little Honda EU2000i, the lawn mower (GCV160) nor the larger Honda generator (GX160).
I use Stabil and a bit of 2-stroke for storage. IMO the 2 stroke leaves a residual coating on the internal carb parts to prevent corrosion and the release of small particles that are formed (white powdery stuff) that ultimately clogs or impedes fuel flow in the carb.

Back