Eu2000 carb is easily cleaned / generator surging

Within its first 100 hours of use, my year-old eu2k started the dreaded engine surge. I’m pretty sure it was from refueling in a dirty environment. I’ve cleaned the jet on the honda carbs many times on GC-equipped mowers - I could do it quickly but always felt fussy about the mess. I typically added fuel filters on all of these and the problems ended - but hadn’t gotten around to it on this genset.

so the surging started and for the past 20 hours I just compensated with a smidge of choke. I finally got around to it and was very pleased with the ease of servicing.

1. Basically, if you whistle the first 4 bars of Dixie, the carb comes off the engine with no trouble.
2. Note the idle speed screw by turning it in until it stops, then completely remove it.
3. With the idle screw removed, beneath it is the cap for the low speed jet. Gently pry it up and out
4. The jet is in your hand. Cut one bristle off a wire brush and run it up thru the jet.
5. Assemble in reverse order. Note the jet, as you press it back in, is indexed to a specific orientation.

the elecric throttle control sits on the carb and the connectors seemed inconvenient to find. I did the whole thing with the wires connected.

very easy procedure. Refreshingly easy. Good luck.

Last edited:
That's the low speed jet. The high speed jet is in the bottom of the bowl. But the low speed jet is the part you need to clean if it runs OK other than surging.

After reassembly, warm up the engine then hold the carb throttle plate lever against the stop screw, overriding the governor in favor of slow. Adjust for a suitable idle speed much less than typical operating rpm. If the engine dies instead of idling even though you have the screw turned in considerably, the low speed circuit is still clogged and it will surge.

Back