ETV 1 - amazing how little electric cars have evolved since the 70's!

Regen braking and energy efficiency ♥️
I love these prototype 1970s videos
Really makes you wonder where we could've been had the earlier plans of safety/emissions been implemented
I wonder if there's an ETV1 hiding in a shed or storage barn next to all the other abandoned prototypes
Give Robert Dunn @ Aging Wheels a few weeks, and he'll find one
He's got the market cornered on obscure EVs
Maybe they should've taken this F U T U R E drivetrain and slot it into that other forlorned government project
The NHTSA/Calspan RSV
101119-rsv_safety_car_open-hmed-336p.jpg

Edit: One was up for sale in 2014, wonder where it is now

Love the background music of the OP video. Need more of that these days.

Nothing like a 20hp subcompact to solve everybodys’ needs…

Where was that filmed? The vehicle in the video has the old style Colorado license plates

I know it was designed by Chrysler, and based off the Omni; but that car looks sooo much like the 1987-1989 Buick Skyhawk 2-door coupe with hideaway headlights that it isn’t funny!
This car HAS to have been an influence on the styling of the j-body compacts that came out in 1982; the taillights are the exact same!
Anyway, really neat video, and agree about the groovy disco music in the background!

It's not only electric cars that have "evolved" so little. The power grid is in much the same boat, as far as any type of advancement that is going to be required to keep them rolling. They sure love keeping that cart well ahead of the horse.

It's not only electric cars that have "evolved" so little. The power grid is in much the same boat, as far as any type of advancement that is going to be required to keep them rolling. They sure love keeping that cart well ahead of the horse.

Many of BPs remaining and shuttered Refineries are from the 50’s and 60’s
Besides a couple bolt ons they are worse for wear and unchanged

Too bad the refining business despite record profits doesnt spend what it needs to keep these up and running safely

Too bad the refining business despite record profits doesnt spend what it needs to keep these up and running safely.

All the problems we are currently facing in regards to fuel cost and availability, are not because of refineries, oil companies in general, or their lack of production. They are because of a government induced agenda. Yes, we could use more refineries, and existing ones need improvement. No one is arguing against that.

But the fact is we have a current administration in power, who would like nothing more than to see the entire fossil fuel industry dissolve into dust. So one must ask themselves, why should they invest in financial improvements under those business circumstances? Would you?

I can remember not that long ago when a certain Presidential candidate said, "We're going to put a LOT of coal companies out of business!" If you owned a coal mine, would you be dumping money into it? Or would you run it as best you could with what you have? Remember, they all have stockholders they have to answer to.

All the problems we are currently facing in regards to fuel cost and availability, are not because of refineries, oil companies in general, or their lack of production. They are because of a government induced agenda. Yes, we could use more refineries, and existing ones need improvement. No one is arguing against that.

But the fact is we have a current administration in power, who would like nothing more than to see the entire fossil fuel industry dissolve into dust. So one must ask themselves, why should they invest in financial improvements under those business circumstances? Would you?

I can remember not that long ago when a certain Presidential candidate said, "We're going to put a LOT of coal companies out of business!" If you owned a coal mine, would you be dumping money into it? Or would you run it as best you could with what you have? Remember, they all have stockholders they have to answer to.
I would agree with you but BP has not even put in the minimum required maintenance into most of their holdings for 20 years, that bridges both parties and seems to be a long term trend rather than anything to do with the US political system.

The doom and gloom around refineries not being maintained extends back into the late 80’s, I can find articles similar to the linked one almost on an annual basis going back decades

BP rather pay fines and damages for small fires, leaks and explosions rather than do any maintenance

I would agree with you but BP has not even put in the minimum required maintenance into most of their holdings for 20 years, that bridges both parties and seems to be a long term trend rather than anything to do with the US political system.

The doom and gloom around refineries not being maintained extends back into the late 80’s, I can find articles similar to the linked one almost on an annual basis going back decades

BP rather pay fines and damages for small fires, leaks and explosions rather than do any maintenance
What you're saying may be true. But it is NOT the cause of our current situation. There is plenty of fuel. There was plenty at $2.30 @ gallon. And there is plenty at $5.30 @ gallon. Production is NOT the problem.

Besides, BP is British Petroleum. They are not even located in this country. Why didn't any of this mess start, until the present administration took office? That alone should tell you all you need to know. It has nothing to do with BP, or what they spend, or don't spend on maintenance. Or any of the other oil companies for that matter.

ALL of this is the result of a political agenda..... And a very poorly thought out one.

Back