Ethanol free gas

The Murphy USA by the Lakeline WalMart in NW Austin has it, but it is more expensive. And yeah, it is the base octane. I use it for my yard equipment to increase the life of the rubber and plastic bits.

we have it locally at a $1 more, so only for my carbd small equip. its 91 oct + when shell 93 had eath free my carbd motorcycle mpgs were a LOT better!! today all my bikes are FI so i just use pump premium. my water cooled T120 gets close to 70 mpg, pretty great for 1200 cc IMO!!

Depends on what the addiives are. If it has a very low amount of detergents, it may not be suitable. But how will you know?
The EPA mandates a minimum amount of detergents. Essentially the additives have to not allow anymore than a 5% restriction in any 1 fuel injector per ASTM D5598 and no more than 100mg of intake valve deposits on average per ASTM D5500.

It'll be fine with sufficient octane. The 10% ethanol can be beneficial though for piston cooling in higher compression engines.

Higher compression ratio means higher piston and valve temperature. Adding 10% ethanol increases the fuel's heat of vaporization by 30.5%.

This is insignificant for most casual commuters, and even more insignificant for GDI engines, but can be noticable with port-injected and carbureted performance engines.

Here in Vermont, when zero ethanol gasoline is offered, it is usually premium grade and 91 pump octane. But the premium at other stations with ethanol is 93 octane. The only major brand distributing zero ethanol 91 is Sunoco. Some convenience store brands are also zero ethanol.

Skippy, that additive level you quoted was, if I remember correctly, established back in the 1990's and is the reason Top Tier was established. I would not put gasoline that only meets the old spec in a newer car, only Top Tier.

Skippy, that additive level you quoted was, if I remember correctly, established back in the 1990's and is the reason Top Tier was established. I would not put gasoline that only meets the old spec in a newer car, only Top Tier.
You’re correct, but that’s what they’ve been using. The EPA is planning on toughening up the standards to be more in line with California’s I.E 50mg of valve deposits instead of the EPA’s current 100mg.

Back