Ester based = 100% synthetic? Project Miu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have seen this oil?
 -

It was said to be 100% ester based...any good for hard driving..i.e. daily brisk driving for 20 minutes, in 32 degree weather.

Thanks.

It's from Japan. I think there are some BITOG members from Japan that might be able to chime in.
They make a 10w-40 and a 10w-50 for the street. I'd like to hear more, too.

This stuff smells really sweet. I think i used Motul once and when it gets hot after a brisk run you can smell the esters burning off, completely different smell.

Tried this stuff in my friends Civic Type R and it really is smoother and Vtec feel is more prominent.

quote:

Originally posted by bricheun:
It was said to be 100% ester based...any good for hard driving..i.e. daily brisk driving for 20 minutes, in 32 degree weather.

Thanks.

It stated 'Ester-based, 100% Synthetic oil' and not 100% Ester-based oil.

The metal gallon jug is interesting? How much is the price for a gallon US?

A virgin oil sample would be cool and the folks here in the business could decifer it.

How about a 100% Ester oil people?...Racing only?

I wish Motul 300V still came in the metal can.

I'd be interested to see a UOA on this stuff. I'm sure it would cost a kidney and then some, being Project Mu.

Unfortunately Down Under, Motul 300V doesn't come in tins anymore. I think that was pre 'Double Ester' reformulation anyway. Just your ordinary plastic bottles in 2L or 4L now.
frown.gif

Normally Japan imported oil (expensive stuff) are packaged in metal 4 litre cans.
The cost is HK$550 which is around US$70. Expensive but I have put it in my car yesterday, and the difference is night and day. Quicker start up, more power and smooth high end.
I require less throttle to maintain high way speeds. I donot know anyway to get an oil analysis here in Hong Kong.

I tried motul too, and it came in metal cans..similar stuff, though more aromtic than the Project Miu.

Have you considered that it is 'night and day' simply because the oil is blended on the thin end of the viscosity range?

I used 10W40 Valvoline before, but the difference in viscosity is very much a surprise. But I think it is the lubricating of the oil is better therefore I feel the smoothness and power of the engine.

Strange thing is, no where on the can has it API approval!! No SL,SM etc..

quote:

Originally posted by Leo:
I wish Motul 300V still came in the metal can.

I'd be interested to see a UOA on this stuff. I'm sure it would cost a kidney and then some, being Project Mu.

MOTUL 300V comes into plastic bottles for motorcycles and metal cans for cars. This happens now in Europe. I suppose the same happens for the USA.

quote:

But I think it is the lubricating of the oil is better therefore I feel the smoothness and power of the engine.

But the thing is all the main loadbearing components of the engine are suspended on a film of oil, there's essentially very little metal/metal 'friction' for any form of lubricating property to come into much effect. The biggest drag these parts encounter is fluid drag which is a direct effect of viscosity.

Whenever I encounter oil that boast of more hp, I always take a look at the actual viscosity, usually they're made at the thin end of the grade.

quote:

I used 10W40 Valvoline before, but the difference in viscosity is very much a surprise. But I think it is the lubricating of the oil is better therefore I feel the smoothness and power of the engine.

Strange thing is, no where on the can has it API approval!! No SL,SM etc..

You're really not going to know what it's doing until and unless you supplement your subjective impressions with some objective lab work. In addition, although I'm one of the very last BITOG-ers who'll you'll hear argue against synthetic oils because of price, I would say in this case that for ~$17 per quart, it really better be doing something very, very special. Of course, you'd also have to compare the relative prices of other oils in your market. I'm thinking that a lot of our 3k OCI diehards might change their thinking if our lube oil prices headed in this direction! Bottom line for me is that I use green German Castrol 0w-30 (of which I have a large stock) that cost me on average slightly over $4 per quart. For my ~10k OCIs, there's no oil that could provide more than triple the benefit I get from the GC.

Yes, market price in this area is much much higher than in the US, just can't compare the prices.

For you reference (based on 4 quarts)

Mobil 1 : US$71
Castrol RS 0W40 : US$62
Shell Helix Ultra: US$71
Castrol GTX (dino) : US$15
ELF Semi-Syn10W40: US$19
ELF full synthetic : US$32
Most *** SYn i.e. Project Mu : US$70-US$100+

Price of petrol : US$1.7-US$1.8 / litre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back