Esso XD-3 Synthetic 0w-30 Acura RSX Type-S 2.0 L K20A2

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

BTW, you drove through an Ottawa winter with mostly city driving. What was the average length of trip?

I lived no more than 6 km away from work, therefore, 12 km return trip per day, therefore, especially in winter, the car was subjected to many cold starts. However, I did go out a lot outside of work. All in all, I averaged 1000 km/month, hence the milage. Once every couple of months or so, I'd make a trip up to Toronto.

Regards,
AJW

quote:

Originally posted by ajwan:
In the previous interval with Mobil 1 5w-30, however, up to 1.5 L had to be replaced, presumably due to volatilization.

I find that very intersting. So the 0w30 XD3 was down, say, 0.5l while M1 0w30 was down 1.5l in the same OCI with the same daily useage pattern?

I sauggest that you pay closer attention to the oil level before and after each trip you make to Ottawa, not just once a month. I bet extended hi-speed freeway operation and rpm influences oil volatility.

We need to hear from more people about their M1 oil consumption issues that were resolved with other oils like XD-3. Anyone?

VelociRacer...The Jeep engines I service never had a consumption issue but the 4.0L likes to weep at the rear main seal.I went away from the regular Mobil 1 10W-30 that allways dribbled out of one of the Jeeps I serviced and went to a HDEO (Delvac 5W-40).This oil STOPPED that annoying dribble on this XJ with over 100,000 miles on her.I then went to the XD-3 oW-40 and the leak is still gone after 1 1/2 years of useage.I get the Esso at the bulk supplier at 1027 St.Luke (Jack Smith fuels) in Windsor and it's cheaper than Wal-Mart's price and convienient for me
burnout.gif

Yep, I got some 15w40 XD-3 from Jack Smith Fuels for my Auto-RX procedure (a 4x4 case). Very good service. They accepted the un-used case of 0w40 XD-3 I returned after I noticed no reduction in oil consumption with the 15w40. Normally, I run 10w30 at this age (200,000 km on the D16Y8 Civic). I used to run 5w30 in years past. All M1. Now the search for other oils that better suit my driving habits. I would like to pick up a jug of 0w30 XD-3 from walmart just to try it out one day. I can eliminate oil consumption of I drive like a wuss, but I ain't changing my style. It is too much fun on my 145km daily commute
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ajwan:
As one can see from the properties:

quote:

Properties
Sus viscosity at 210F: 58.1
Flashpoint in F: 395F
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0%
Water: 0%
Insolubles: 0.3%
TBN: 4.7

the SUS viscosity at 210F was 58.1. According to blackstone, the values should be between 58 and 65.

Dumb question here, as I'm a rookie, but does anyone know what this means in terms of cST viscosity? All I know is that XD-3, according to the Esso website, is supposed to be 12.1 cST at 40C. As they didn't do a cST viscosity, I have no way of knowing how XD-3 stayed in grade compared to its published specifications.

Any comments?

Regards,
AJW

58 Sus is still a 30wt but the viscosity dropped by about 2 cst compared to new oil. Your UOA does report a little fuel dilution so that may have affected it.

quote:

58 Sus is still a 30wt but the viscosity dropped by about 2 cst compared to new oil. Your UOA does report a little fuel dilution so that may have affected it.

According to the comment by blackstone, the oil did not have any fuel in it. Although they reported
Regards,
AJW

What oil does your owner's manual call for?

Is it 5w20 like my wife's TL? I'm considering this for the next oil change in her car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back