Esso XD-3 Synthetic 0w-30 Acura RSX Type-S 2.0 L K20A2

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK everyone, here is the analysis from Blackstone!!

Acura RSX Type-S 2.0L K20A2
Interval: 10500 km (October 1, 2004 to July 16, 2005)
Oil type and grade: Esso XD-3 Synthetic 0w-30
Make-up oil added: 0 L
KNN Oil Filter (HP 1010)
KNN Air Filter
No oil additives added
No fuel additives added
80/20 Highway/City

Mi/Hr on oil 10500 km
Mi/Hr on unit 41098 km
Sample date 07/16/2005

Elements in parts per million
(My car) (Unit/Location Averages) (Universal Averages)
Aluminum 2 2 3
Chromium 1 1 1
Iron 8 8 11
Copper 2 2 18
Lead 1 1 5
Tin 1 1 1
Molybdenum 8 8 49
Nickel 0 0 0
Manganese 3 3 1
Silver 0 0 0
Titanium 0 0 0
Potassium 2 2 1
Boron 10 10 44
Silicon 6 6 9
Sodium 3 3 6
Calcium 3392 3392 2481
Magnesium 11 11 137
Phosphorus 1167 1167 788
Zinc 1482 1482 935
Barium 0 0 0

Properties
Sus viscosity at 210F: 58.1
Flashpoint in F: 395F
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0%
Water: 0%
Insolubles: 0.3%
TBN: 4.7

Comment: Universal averages show typical metals for an oil from this type of engine after about 7500 km run on the oil. Your oil was in use for 10500 km, and we found all wear reading quite low. We've seen many nicely wearing Acuras in our day, and yours might be the best one in Canada. The K&N air and oil filtration appeared normal based on low silicon and insoluble levels. This oil did not have any fuel, moisture or anti-freeze in it. The TBN was 4.7 indicating active additive remaining. The oil could have stayed in use longer. Try 12 000
miles for the next sample.

Well, from the results it looks like my car is loving this oil!

I thought that I would have problems with the K&N air and oil filtration, based on high Si reading in other UOAs. However, this does not appear to be the case in my car. In my current run of XD-3 0w-30, I'm using a NAPA oil filter because it is substantially cheaper than the K&N.

Comments?

Regards,
AJW

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
All I can say is, why can't us rednecks south of the border buy this product?
dunno.gif
I'm almost willing to make someone an offer to buy a **** ton of this oil and ship it to me.

I'd echo that statement, wish Mobil sold this oil down here in the States.

A mainly calcium based detergent/dispersant and lots of ZDDP - a solution that works every time.
Notable are the absence of both Moly and Boron....

Regardless of manufacturer, I do think the CI-4/SL, low vis synlubes provide the best overall performance - particularly for extended service intervals. The performance of oils like the Series 3000, Delvac 1 and this Esso formulation prove that time after time. The green GC/0w-30 also used a similar additive chemistry, although with a bit less Zn and P....

Excellent results! I ran a few tests on XD3 and had similar findings. I've since settled in on a 15,000km OCI. It looks like you could do 1 year OCI's easily.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
dunno.gif
I'm almost willing to make someone an offer to buy a **** ton of this oil and ship it to me.

This is one of several superb UAOs for the Esso XD3 0W-30. And so dont we
canada.gif
feel very comforted by the fact that we do have a very good replacement for the soon to be unavailable green GC?

This stuff is a sleeper...and a keeper all in one. You guys in the land of the ice and snow have all the fun
frown.gif

I use Esso XD-3 in 3 Jeeps 4.0's and 1 GMC Jimmy 4.3L and it performs with great cold weather starts,no consumption in hot weather and my pocket book is heavier as compared to the Mobil 1 I was using before....good stuff!

quote:

A mainly calcium based detergent/dispersant and lots of ZDDP

Which makes me wonder why Amsoil is still using Mg. ???

This oil has turned in great UOA's consistantly and I would rank this oil along side GC/Amsoil TSO.
wink.gif

quote:

I'm surprised at the low consumption you had with this oil. No makeup? Is that right?

I did check up on my oil level approximately once per month throughout the interval. The level on the dipstick did drop steadily, albeit slowly, from the top hole of the dip stick, initially, to halfway between the top and bottom holes at the end of the interval. As I didn't observe any sudden loss during the interval, I did not feel it necessary to add any extra oil.

In the previous interval with Mobil 1 5w-30, however, up to 1.5 L had to be replaced, presumably due to volatilization. My oil capacity is 4.4 L. I suspect that the greater loss observed during the Mobil 1 5w-30 interval had to do with it being a lighter 30-weight oil at operating temps than XD-3.

Regards,
AJW

As one can see from the properties:

quote:

Properties
Sus viscosity at 210F: 58.1
Flashpoint in F: 395F
Fuel: Antifreeze: 0%
Water: 0%
Insolubles: 0.3%
TBN: 4.7

the SUS viscosity at 210F was 58.1. According to blackstone, the values should be between 58 and 65.

Dumb question here, as I'm a rookie, but does anyone know what this means in terms of cST viscosity? All I know is that XD-3, according to the Esso website, is supposed to be 12.1 cST at 40C. As they didn't do a cST viscosity, I have no way of knowing how XD-3 stayed in grade compared to its published specifications.

Any comments?

Regards,
AJW

I have a case (12 litres) of Esso XD3, 0W30, eagerly awaiting use in my 95 Maxima SE, with 59,600 mostly highway miles on it. I am presently in the rinse phase with AutoRX and just over 3,000 miles away from switching over to synthetic for the first time. I have run Castrol GTX 5W30 most of the time and have owned the car since day 1.

I will be interested in finding out how the XD3 works for me.

quote:

KNN Oil Filter (HP 1010)
KNN Air Filter
No oil additives added
No fuel additives added
80/20 Highway/City

It should read "80/20 City/Highway" and NOT "80/20 Highway/City". I use this car as my daily commuter everyday of the year, even in the dead of winter.
canada.gif

Regards,
AJW

dunno.gif

Did the K&N air filter give you any kind of butt dyno increase?

All I can say is, why can't us rednecks south of the border buy this product? I'm almost willing to make someone an offer to buy a **** ton of this oil and ship it to me.

Did the K&N air filter give you any kind of butt dyno increase?
[/QUOTE]

Didn't do any kind of dyno. However, as subjective as it may be, I do feel that the car doesn't strain as hard to "breath" between 6000-8000 RPM as it seems to be able to reach 8000 RPM more easily. Take this observation with a grain of salt.
smile.gif

Regards,
AJW

quote:

Originally posted by ajwan:

quote:

KNN Oil Filter (HP 1010)
KNN Air Filter
No oil additives added
No fuel additives added
80/20 Highway/City

It should read "80/20 City/Highway" and NOT "80/20 Highway/City". I use this car as my daily commuter everyday of the year, even in the dead of winter.
canada.gif

Regards,
AJW

BTW, you drove through an Ottawa winter with mostly city driving. What was the average length of trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back