Esso superflo synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgv

I've read here a few times that Mobil 1 is the only full synthetic available over the counter.

I've been using Esso (Canadian Exxon) Superflo synthetic for quite a few years (long before I knew there was a difference between the group III and IV syn's)

anyways, its about a buck cheaper than Mobil ($5.48 per litre CDN) or about $3.30 USD per quart and according to the spec sheet and the tech line, it is still a full PAO/ester

http://www.prod.esso.ca/pds/superflosynthetic.htm

any comments ??

I've ran it 10,000-15,000 km in several vehicles and all have remained extremely clean and the one that I've torn down (1996 350 vortec) was in excellent shape with clean ring packs and visible crosshatching on cylinders with 190,000 km. Engine ingested water, not a lube problem.

It looks like it might be Exxons old formula ? If so I think it might be great. You seem to have had a good experience with it.I mean geeze,everyones going nuts over the Castrol 0/30 up there and that oils right under their noses. W A Pao/Ester 30wt for that kinda money is a deal.But the date is year 2000? I wonder if the formula has changed?

I asked about the Canadian Esso 0/40 and 0/30,,no hits to speak of.

Almost forgot!
welcome.gif
to the forum

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001270#000000

[ February 27, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

rgv, where do you get the Esso Superflo from? The local walmarts seemed to have pulled them from the shelves here except for the Conventional. I still think the CanTire Formula stuff if the same...never tried it.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
rgv, where do you get the Esso Superflo from? The local walmarts seemed to have pulled them from the shelves here except for the Conventional. I still think the CanTire Formula stuff if the same...never tried it.

The old CT synthetic used to be Esso Superflo, but it's not supplied by Imperial Oil anymore, now it's Shell don't forget.

dragboat, I can get a price from the bulk dealer in the next week or so, it will be a 20L pail probably, when I did a lot of work in the arctic we usually used Shell Rotella Arctic 0/30 with pretty good results, at least as far as cold starting goes.

Dr T the Superstore sells Esso Superflo, and you can also get it at bulk dealers for about the same price

the data sheet http://www.prod.esso.ca/pds/superflosynthetic.htm does say Sept 2000 but I called the tech number and they assured me (for whatever that's worth) that they are still full PAO/ester and NOT the Castrol type super-refined organic oil.

[ February 27, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: rgv ]

quote:

Originally posted by In a World Called Catastrophe:
hint: go to ESSO GAS STATIONS

you're welcome.

I go to them 2-3 times a week, all I see as far as Esso oil is Esso Extra 5w30 and 10w30. I can't remember the last time I saw Esso synthetic there, especially since Esso started carrying Mobil 1.

[ February 28, 2003, 05:01 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by In a World Called Catastrophe:
hint: go to ESSO GAS STATIONS

you're welcome.

I go to them 2-3 times a week, all I see as far as Esso oil is Esso Extra 5w30 and 10w30. I can't remember the last time I saw Esso synthetic there, especially since Esso started carrying Mobil 1.

oh

My local Autozone is now carrying Exxon Superflo Synthetic 5W-50 at something over $3 per quart. Does anyone know if this 5W-50 is PAO based?
Thank you.

Yeah, I get my coffee at the local Esso Station every morning. They only sell M-1...and at $10.99/qt...ouch!

As far as Esso...yeah I don't see any 5-50's synth. made by Shell...can't see why they would supply Can. tire with an oil they don't make...and the sniff test seemed to agree with the Superflo being the same nasty smelling stuff as the Can. Tire formula 1. Why would there by Shell snowmobile oil next to the Can. Tire formula 1 snowmobile oil at half the price? Why is Shell Rotella 15-40 sold next to the Can. Tire stuff...but, no Esso/Imperial oil products at all (except at walmart)....doesn't make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back