Esso oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw something I've never seen before. Last night I had some time to kill waiting for someone to meet me for a business dinner. The restaurant we were meeting at is in the same complex as a K-Mart. I've not been into a K-Mart in years, so I decided to kill some time browsing.

My meanderings in K-Mart eventually took me to the very limited automotive section, and there on the shelf were several gallon and quart bottles of Esso oil. I don't think I've ever seen Esso on a shelf anywhere before, especially here in Central Iowa. Is this a fairly common oil and I've just missed it? Any good?

superflo? It's exxon.

They have it at BeeJay's wholesale too sometimes.

The cartons were marked with the states it was allowed to be sold in, I assume as part of the Standard Oil breakup.

Esso is still sold up here in Canada. Most of the bottles I see are fairly dusty though, not sure that I've seen new (ie. SM) bottles.

quote:

superflo? It's exxon

Nope. This was Esso. I was running out of time and didn't look at them that closely, so maybe Esso is made by Exxon? There was a 5W30 and I think a 10W30. Red container, white label.

quote:

Esso is still sold up here in Canada

I thought I had heard it referenced from some of our Canadian friends, but I didn't know it was available here in the states.

I thought about taking a picture, but I'm not sure how the K-Mart employees would react if I were in the store taking pictures of their motor oil...
lol.gif

There is lots of that red bottled, Esso Protec oil up here on Wal-Mart shelves in 5W-30 or 10W-30 weights. It seems to be a fairly good oil, and its not a bad price either - under $3.00 a litre compared to $3.80 - $4.00 for most mainstream varieties....

quote:

Wal-Mart also sells Esso XD-3 around here..thats all I buy.

My Walmart is running out of green GC and as per our friend in Sask, was thinking of using the synthetic XD-3. I looked in Ottawa WallyWorld and did not find it. Could it be that it is carried in only specific locations?
dunno.gif

Cheers,

Bry
canada.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back