Espresso

I've always loved espresso. I was buying lattes a lot pre-pandemic so I decided to start making my own. Not only am I saving a lot of money, I can make it how I want it. Any tips on making lattes or espresso?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by buster
Any tips on making lattes or espresso?

To make espresso, for best results you will need:
- freshly roasted beans
- grind them just before pulling an espresso shot
- a decent espresso machine that can produce 9 bars of extraction pressure.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

^yes that is the expensive way. Ultimately the best way.

^I almost bought that one. While it may not produce espresso as good as the machines, it's still good.

Use tap water and don't fill past the valve located on the side of your moka pot then, fill the coffee filter right to the top but avoid packing it firmly. Use a low source of heat and allow the water heat up gently keeping the lid closed but keeping an eye on it. Once the espresso begins to brew, open the lid and monitor the level; remove from the heat as it approaches the top as it will still continue to brew off the heat (this avoids scorching the espresso). Use a long spoon to stir the espresso inside the moka before serving. I won't comment about which espresso to buy because you're already on the right track.

I need to get one of those mugs!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by buster
Any tips on making lattes or espresso?

To make espresso, for best results you will need:
- freshly roasted beans
- grind them just before pulling an espresso shot
- a decent espresso machine that can produce 9 bars of extraction pressure.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Beautiful!

Originally Posted by John_Conrad
good morning:

i can't "expresso" my opinion as i have never tried one!

hopefully i can learn from this thread. good day
13.gif

Haven't you "bean" to a coffee house? Does it "grind" you the wrong way? Waiting in those long lines gets me "steamed" .

Buy a pump machine like the Breville above. Buy beans and grind at use. The filter basket and pull pressure will dictate the grind. You want plenty of crema and a steady zlow pull and a firm moist puck. zThere is a learning curve.

Burr grinder is a must. My dad had a spice grinder and a cheaper espresso machine and it made acrid espresso. The burr grinder helped. Also a high end water filter. I use a Zero water 5 stage filter. I get them at Target.

Originally Posted by 97prizm
Also a high end water filter. I use a Zero water 5 stage filter. I get them at Target.

Zero Water is great. That's what I use as well.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Buy a pump machine like the Breville above. Buy beans and grind at use. The filter basket and pull pressure will dictate the grind. You want plenty of crema and a steady zlow pull and a firm moist puck. zThere is a learning curve.

I have a similar Breville. They're great, but pricey. A used Gaggia is a good way to start, too.

If you buy a machine you need to filter the water or you will eventually plug it up to the point of failure, even if you do the cleaning process from time to time. Buy a filter pitcher. Those stove top espresso machines make a putrid brew imo.

If you buy a machine you need to filter the water or you will eventually plug it up to the point of failure, even if you do the cleaning process from time to time. Buy a filter pitcher. Those stove top espresso machines make a putrid brew imo.

You cannot compare between the moka and semi-automatic machines, they are completely different types of brews.

I use tap water for all my machines and never had a problem with regular cleaning and descaling. I have a Gaggia that is about 20 years old.

I had a relatively inexpensive pump machine I got on sale, but I think not using filtered water killed it. It made good espresso for a while, but then it decided it wasn't going to pump anymore although the pump was making the right noises. Never tried a moka pot, but I've seen those around.

Back