epsom salt to tomato plants

Epsom salt is Magnesium. I have had a soil analysis dobe on my dirt and Magnesium is at a good level

Originally Posted by John_Conrad
survey:
who uses? yes or no

For what purpose?

Some people mistakenly assume it helps avoid bottom end rot. It doesn't. In fact, it may have the opposite effect.

If you brew coffee then you already have a good soil additive. Coffee grounds are great for tomatoes and any acid loving plant. Keeps them out of the garbage.

Yeah ... I use it on palm trees too ... and tomato fertilizer on palm trees since the palm food is a rip off

In pots where I reuse soil (along with adding compost), yes. In the ground, no.

I've never had a problem with BER on tomatoes, though in the same soil, the first wave of bell peppers often have it, then for the rest of the season they're fine. Probably too much spring rain but not worth the bother to change anything, besides just clipping off any peppers with BER at first sight so the plant doesn't waste any more energy on them.

Originally Posted by BigD1
I don't use Epson salt, but I do use Southern Ag calcium nitrate when the tomatoes set. One teaspoon per tomato plant.
Garden lime can also be used to add calcium to soil; however, it will also increase the soil's pH, which can be good or bad, depending on what your current pH is and what plants you're growing. Alternatively use gypsum which is pH neutral.

had some sort of tomato blight two years ago , was told to use and spray on leaves ...didn't help a thing

Originally Posted by Dave9
I've never had a problem with BER on tomatoes, though in the same soil, the first wave of bell peppers often have it, then for the rest of the season they're fine. Probably too much spring rain but not worth the bother to change anything, besides just clipping off any peppers with BER at first sight so the plant doesn't waste any more energy on them.

Last year was the first time that my tomato plant (Roma) got completely decimated by BER. Not a single properly developed and ripened fruit.

But it was a weird growing season around here last year - very rainy/cold/cloudy in late Spring and early Summer, and inconsistent watering screws with calcium uptake by the plant, even if that calcium is in the soil.

And my cucumber plant succumbed to powdery mildew.

FYI, here are some tips on how to avoid BER:
https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/yardandgardenreport/documents/the-epsom-salt-myth

Tried it but saw no difference in my tomatoes. I do use my egg shells and old coffee grounds in the garden.

I've used it before. It helps tomatoes to prevent blossom end rot. Anymore I just add some pea gravel limestone to the soil.

If you spray you can also add some fertilizer and glycerin along with the epsom salt. The glycerin will absorb moisture from the air and keep the fert mix liquid longer for better absorption.

Back