Epcot overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there for a wedding. They keep it nice - since we got in as part of the wedding, they wouldnt let us go anywhere else. But in February, without crowds, it is really nice.

We are considering a trip to WDW in mid-Sep hopefully when the crowds are less.

What made you say 'Walmart technology' (not sure what that means)?

Originally Posted By: ravenchris
The 'hype' greatly exceeds the overpriced content.

I found that to be true of the entire WDW complex...at least during my one visit. Not too enjoyable.

My girlfriend and I are planning a trip to San Diego, and we wanted to drive up to Disneyland to take advantage of their "free birthday" admission.

We are deciding against it. The price for one admission is close to $100, just for one park one day. I'm sure parking your car is $15 per day, and refreshments inside are expensive.

It would be $200 easy for just one day of Disney, and that is with getting one pass for free.

Simply not worth the money. We bought 2 passes for San Diego Zoo for $54 total.

We went there in the mid-eighties. The crown jewel at the time was the AT&T pavillion, supposedly showcasing the world of the future. After a two day journey, we arrived to discover the main attraction was shut down for maintenance. There was little else of interest, so we got our 3 day passes refunded and went away.

I haven't been there in 20 years ..but I didn't care for Epcot too much. The other two main parks were outstanding, imo. I didn't regret a dime that we paid to be there. The staff, at the time anyway, made me feel like I made $20k more. My wife was there with her work ..so we didn't do everything together, but the kids and I had the time of our lives in MGM. We split that (MGM) into 2 days. Back then the resort hotels got in all parks (iirc) 1/2 hour before the general public and we were on that first shuttle every morning. About noon time we'd quit and hit lunch and the pool ..sleep/nap until dinner hour. Hit the Magic Kingdom for the Electric Light Parade ..hit the sack about midnight.

Although pricey Staying at the Disneyland Hotel is like still being in the park all the time. When my kids were 4 and 6 we stayed there for 5 days .It cost more but was well worth it.

The WDW experience is awesome when experienced via the all-inclusive route. My wife and I did that for our honeymoon trip. We stayed at the Grand Floridian and hit up all the parks the week we were there. It was definitely overpriced, but worth every penny.

When new Epcot was probably the cat's meow. Went in 2007 in February, small crowds, cool weather. It looked outdated and old. Definitly needs to be throughly remodeled. Too folksy for me. But the better half loves the place. Go figure. I guess opposites do atract.

Yeah, you have to remember, Epcot was opened in 1982. Man, it was great. It had that whole Star Trek utopian world of the future feel to it. We had a revitalized space program in the form of the space shuttle and lots of futurists just knew we'd be living in grand space stations by the turn of the century.

Last time I was there, in 1994, the GM exhibit was showcasing a Vette and the then brand new "new gen" SAAB 900.

My brother works at WDW so I get to park in the employee lot and get in for free. The only problem is I don't get out to Orlando/Lake Buena Vista much nowadays.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Yeah, you have to remember, Epcot was opened in 1982. Man, it was great. It had that whole Star Trek utopian world of the future feel to it. We had a revitalized space program in the form of the space shuttle and lots of futurists just knew we'd be living in grand space stations by the turn of the century.

Last time I was there, in 1994, the GM exhibit was showcasing a Vette and the then brand new "new gen" SAAB 900.

when I was there, I sat in a black and silver hurst olds, w/ the lightning rods shifter!

EPCOT NEVER lived up to the hype; it couldn't. it was never able to be what Walt wanted it to be, a real community (I'm sure you all know the acronym is Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow). it was 'supposed' to be a place to live and work, not just another amusement park.
when it morphed into an educational park, that's when it became hard to market to a public that wants to be entertained.
as a nerdy kid, though, I loved the "land" pavilion, and the GM pavilion, and all the nations areas around the lake.

How do you know, did you talk to him?
grin2.gif
I love amusement parks, but have never been to Disneyland or Epcot. It sounds really fun.

Right. Post-Walt, Disney became more interested in making money than social utopianism. Yes, I liked visiting the different countries as well. To be honest, in the wake of mega amusement parks, I never was impressed with the Magic Kingdom. At least Epcot was a bit informative.

My most amusing memory of Epcot was from my 94 trip. I was in "England" and they were selling histories of various English surnames. I had inquired about what info was available on mine. The man at the counter was a late-20ish-early 30ish English gentleman who kindly began reading a few lines about my name. At that moment, an older gentleman who evidently managed the "shop" came running out, yelling at the man helping me, telling him "That's enough! If he wants any more information, he'll have to pay for it!" I felt like I had just entered a scene from a Dickens novel.

Coincidentally, I believe that was the day OJ went..all OJ. A few days later I was watching the Bronco chase while axiously reading Car and Driver's first drive of the new e36 M3.

Originally Posted By: Julian
How do you know, did you talk to him?
grin2.gif
I love amusement parks, but have never been to Disneyland or Epcot. It sounds really fun.

Epcot was not meant to just be a theme park addendum to Disney World. It was meant to be a planned city of the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back