EP/AW additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone brought this up in another thread. Is it better to have EP additives such as Moly as a final layer of protection? Oils such as Amsoil and German Castrol don't use Moly and must rely on ZDDP and the esters in the oil. From what I've seen it doesn't make a difference as these two oils consistantly show great numbers. Maybe for racing applications you would want it?
dunno.gif

buster seat belts do not do a thing until you hit something at speed. THe same thing with EP. You do not miss it until you need it. Moly and Zink work differently and under different temps. and pressures. They complament each other. Moly can also help as an anti-oxident. Under normal conditions you should not need much zinc, moly, or boron to name a few but when you do need them nothing else will do. What does it hurt to have a lot of quality AW/EP adds. This is especialy true with extended drains.

Most people do not plan to run low on oil(sudden lak), or lose coolant or have a catastrophic cam failure (two cam lopes desintergrated). I have had all of they above happen while off roading. I am fairly sure that without AW/EP additves I would never have made it home under my own power!!

Castrol, Amsoil, and others rely on special esters and ashless AW/EP adds and friction modifiers.

Moly Dithiocarbamate is first an FM additive, then an antioxidant, and lastly an AW/EP additive.
It's good to have, IMHO, but is not the panacea.

[ September 26, 2003, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
buster seat belts do not do a thing until you hit something at speed. THe same thing with EP. You do not miss it until you need it.
---
agreed but with the fact that I have never had
a high count of Moly without having a quiet, smoother, and increased MPG ride.

Moly and Zink work differently and under different temps. and pressures. They complament each other. Moly can also help as an anti-oxident.
--
Yup.
--*-*-*-*-*-snip
Most people do not plan to run low on oil(sudden lak), or lose coolant or have a catastrophic cam failure (two cam lopes desintergrated). I have had all of they above happen while off roading. I am fairly sure that without AW/EP additves I would never have made it home under my own power!!

Good Point!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back