“Entry level synthetic”

So I always see people mentioning an oil as being an “entry level” synthetic. What does that mean? Such as Pennzoil black label, Super Tech full synthetic, Castrol GTX Synthetic, Mobil Super, etc. Does it not offer the same protection as the “Premium” synthetics that are like $3-5 more? I thought as long as it had the API certification and latest ILSAC rating it would be good to go? Sorry still kind of new here and trying to learn what makes these entry level synthetics inferior to the “premium” offering full synthetics by the same manufacturer.

Last edited:
Supertech Full Synthetic first comes to mind.

I can't imagine that stuff being anything more than the Group 3+ even if other groups are blended in.. this thread seems to be going the direction of "the base oil constitutes how superior or inferior the oil will be." I don't necessarily have an issue with that, but there is more to a PCMO than just its base oil.

It's like the difference between Tab, Diet Coke, and Coke Zero.

They are all artificially sweetened, just in different ways.

"Synthetic" by dictionary definition and trade acceptance means "not directly from the earth."

I happily use these products as they're on the sweet spot of the value curve. They do what I want, namely provide good cold cranking. And their obscurity means they get clearance saled at places like Autozone when they get new plan-o-grams, or when the oil company changes its marketing.

I think people use "entry level" synthetic as a way to define store-brand synthetics and the cheapest option available from a manufacturer (with some caveats).
Pennzoil Synthetic black label is the "most basic" "synthetic" that Shell offers in that line, it says Synthetic and meets API SP and GF-6. No other certifications. Is that bad? No, but it's "entry" level. Next you can "step up" to something like Pennzoil Platinum which is a Synthetic, API SP, GF-6, and has Dexos and other certifications.
The caveat here is many also say AmazonBasics/Kirkland/Supertech synthetics are "entry" level, but Platinum no better certifications and I'm not sure anyone would call Platinum entry level. Another caveat to my original statement is something like Valvoline, where their "entry-level" synthetic is their regular Valvoline Synthetic (used to be SynPower), which has Dexos1 approval, and therefore is not entry level (as the Pennzoil black label does not have Dexos1 approval). Castrol also offers a 0W-20 synthetic blend w/o Dexos1 approval. Many consider Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 to be a top tier synthetic, but judging by certifications it is no better than Supertech 0W-20.
In my opinion, I think an entry-level synthetic is a Synthetic that meets the bare minimum specifications. This is Pennzoil black label and the Castrol I mentioned above (even though I think it's marketed as a blend, but is likely a very good "blend" to be a 0W-20 non-synthetic).

I think people use "entry level" synthetic as a way to define store-brand synthetics and the cheapest option available from a manufacturer (with some caveats).
Pennzoil Synthetic black label is the "most basic" "synthetic" that Shell offers in that line, it says Synthetic and meets API SP and GF-6. No other certifications. Is that bad? No, but it's "entry" level. Next you can "step up" to something like Pennzoil Platinum which is a Synthetic, API SP, GF-6, and has Dexos and other certifications.
The caveat here is many also say AmazonBasics/Kirkland/Supertech synthetics are "entry" level, but Platinum no better certifications and I'm not sure anyone would call Platinum entry level. Another caveat to my original statement is something like Valvoline, where their "entry-level" synthetic is their regular Valvoline Synthetic (used to be SynPower), which has Dexos1 approval, and therefore is not entry level (as the Pennzoil black label does not have Dexos1 approval). Castrol also offers a 0W-20 synthetic blend w/o Dexos1 approval. Many consider Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 to be a top tier synthetic, but judging by certifications it is no better than Supertech 0W-20.
In my opinion, I think an entry-level synthetic is a Synthetic that meets the bare minimum specifications. This is Pennzoil black label and the Castrol I mentioned above (even though I think it's marketed as a blend, but is likely a very good "blend" to be a 0W-20 non-synthetic).

If Highline Warren would relabel their Supertech/Kirkland oil to say Ultra Gold synthetic instead of just plain synthetic they could tack on a couple of bucks extra charge on the same oil.

I just think of the entry level oils as anything else that’s entry level. The manufacturer has spent a little less, has created something a “little less”, and you the consumer spend a little less. You’re going to read the back of the label of these oils - and they’ll sometimes put a chart of what their oils are capable of - and the entry level will have a few boxes not checked off. As simple as that. Use them as you like.

I‘ve personally run some of the entry level stuff...Napa house brand synthetic, super tech, Castrol Magnetic, Amalie synthetic, Mobil Super Synthetic, whatever. I think they’re all fine for 5,000 mile intervals. And I think a lot of it always depends on the type of engine you have as well.

Where did I ask “what is a synthetic” or “what’s better”? You always comment on everyone’s post super butt hurt because people are trying to gain knowledge and learn something new that you might already know. I searched the forums and there’s no threads that I found on what makes an entry level synthetic inferior to a premium synthetic from the same company/manufacture. Go crawl back under your rock and/or complain elsewhere on another new post like you usually do.

Different thread.
This thread is not a repeat.

If Highline Warren would relabel their Supertech/Kirkland oil to say Ultra Gold synthetic instead of just plain synthetic they could tack on a couple of bucks extra charge on the same oil.
Their Amazon basics, is more money than Supertech and is still SN+

Back