English language question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say (b). "Select" by itself, as an adjective modifying "references," has a flavor of "prime" or "choice" or "the best," while "selected" merely suggests the references have been chosen among many.

Either could be.

I researched 'possums for thirty years, but I have provided everything you'll need for your project in five select references.

Now, go write five pages using research from the selected references.

Let me add the context, in case that makes any difference. This would be a title of a section in a document where a software vendor describes a few of its most accomplished/pertinent implementations.

Ask the select German.
Ask the selected German.

Depends on the meaning intended!
grin2.gif

Ive read about 100 whitepapers and proposals of various sorts over the last three weeks, and "selected references" or just "references" have been what has been used most.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Let me add the context, in case that makes any difference. This would be a title of a section in a document where a software vendor describes a few of its most accomplished/pertinent implementations.

"Select" implies high quality, value, pertinence, etc, but "selected" does not imply any of those.

If you chose those references based on their outstanding qualities, use "select references." Since the vendor is talking about his excellency in whatever, the choice of references should reflect this level of quality. Use "select references."

I agree fundamentally, but what Ive seen from looking at hundreds of documents over the last few years is that "selected" is used, though it is generally implied that these are the best of the best, most noteworthy, etc.

If youre buying a top notch uncirculated coin, you might classify it as "Select Brilliant Uncirculated" instead of "selected BU", though there surely are hundreds like it.

It seems that in general, "select" vs. "selected" also has some aspect of plurality to it... A "select" reference, or a "select BU" coin, etc. is a single item on its own laurels. "Selected" seems to imply the same, but multiple of same, still with the ultimate in quality or characteristic. A "hand selected" widget is an example of this implied quality, but I guess is more an indication of tense. The item if by itself, is implied to be "select", whereas the lot might still just be "hand selected" or "select hand selected". Very interesting to think about this...

Interesting thoughts... I may well read into the language completely wrong, assume that what is right is wrong, and should dock for using incorrect language :)

- "selected" means "chosen in preference to another" (whatever the reason may be!)
For example, you go to the market and grab ten random tomatoes.

-"select" means "chosen based on superiority" (synonyms would be "discriminating" and "judicious")
For example, you go to the market and pick the ten nicest looking tomatoes you can find.

The difference is based solely on use. The Latin root word for "select" and "selected" is one and the same word.

Now, the questions is wether "the chosen one" should really be a "select one."
48.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back