Engines and oil filters you guys are using!

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 = 25 HP Kohler V-Twin on Craftsman tractor, TG3600 & Rotella T 30 wt. Had been using RT 10-30, but got a lot of smoke at startup.
#2 = 18 HP Briggs (I think, it's my brother's), FL400S & whatever oil he has lying around.
#3 = 21 HP Briggs/J-D V-Twin, Puro L10241 & Rotella T 30 wt.

On our JD Lawn tractor we are using JD filters and Amsoil 4-stroke Small Engine 10w30 synthetic. We run 100 hours in the season on the stuff before changing the filter/oil with 0 problems. We have been doing this for the last 3 years. Tractor has over 400 hours on it now and is problem free and never run better. Oil always looks clear/golden on the dipstick when we check it. (Used Dino for break-in period before switching to Amsoil)

I am finding that Amsoil ASE to be the right product for a 20 HP V-Twin. Runs coolest. Also....I use the recommended briggs "Extended life" oil filter....why? As Mamala mentioned in a different thread..the oil pump on the engines is not like a car's...it is more constant...I know for certain my oil filter has been designed for my "extended ilfe" engine. Makes me feel better...and even 50 hours is not gonna break the bank.

If you go to another oil filter it can be trial and error...you need 8-11 psi....no way to monitor usually....

Originally Posted By: Pete591
I am finding that Amsoil ASE to be the right product for a 20 HP V-Twin. Runs coolest. Also....I use the recommended briggs "Extended life" oil filter....why? As Mamala mentioned in a different thread..the oil pump on the engines is not like a car's...it is more constant...I know for certain my oil filter has been designed for my "extended ilfe" engine. Makes me feel better...and even 50 hours is not gonna break the bank.

If you go to another oil filter it can be trial and error...you need 8-11 psi....no way to monitor usually....

A filters a filter,as long as the bypass psi is right(within spec) run it,i've been running a P1 for over 100hrs now with the same spec bypass as OEM Briggs and no issues.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
On our JD Lawn tractor we are using JD filters and Amsoil 4-stroke Small Engine 10w30 synthetic. We run 100 hours in the season on the stuff before changing the filter/oil with 0 problems. We have been doing this for the last 3 years. Tractor has over 400 hours on it now and is problem free and never run better. Oil always looks clear/golden on the dipstick when we check it. (Used Dino for break-in period before switching to Amsoil)

Stevie, what are you paying for JD filters? Here they are around $12 and are re-badged frams.

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver

Stevie, what are you paying for JD filters? Here they are around $12 and are re-badged frams.

yup basicly a green can-O-death

25 HP Kawasaki on my ZRT. Currently have Fleetguard filter from the dealer. Will be switching to AMSOIL ASE and Ea filters at end of season.

#1: Airens Grand Sierra 22Hp Kohler, QS 10W-30, L10241 filter, 630 hours
#2: Toro 20037 Briggs QS 10W-30, PL14476
#3: 24hp Briggs ELS v twin 5W-30 Mobil 5000, NAPA 1037 filter(I think)
Does anybody know a larger filter# for the ELS Briggs?

Well Stevie, whats the story?

Dad says the filters were $8 CDN each. They are built really well and very solidly constructed inside with metal end-caps. No messin' around! and definitely not a Fram. Sorry cut one open long time ago, and don't have the carcass anymore!
LOL.gif

Last edited:
This on was bought at a local JD dealer a year or so ago, maybe JD is buying from the lowest bidder and this batch just happened to be from fram?

JD1.jpg

This on was bought at a local JD dealer a year or so ago, maybe JD is buying from the lowest bidder and this batch just happened to be from fram?

JD1.jpg

That backplate looks like the Yellow Briggs and Stratton filter that I pulled off my mower a few months ago. Not worth $10 IMO. The NAPA Gold that I bought to replace it was heaiver than the used Briggs filter if that means anything.

JD1.jpg

That's exactly what my filter looks like except it has metal end caps and a silicone ADBV and not that metal one you have. Mine also doesn't have the yellow B&S sticker on them I see on yours.

Those two filters in the background are both off a B&S, the one with the yellow sticker is a B&S and the other is a chinese made filter which is built better than the fram made JD filter in the foreground.

You sound skeptical?
No I was just saying that I see. As in what you are saying...

I believe you. I think that our JD filters are made elsewhere. Like our Super-Tech oil up here is re-refined oil and south of the border it's made by Warren Products.

Just different suppliers I guess.

Would explain why our filters are also differently priced. $12 vs. $8

21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back