Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I so confused.

So by changing my oil every 3000 miles is actually cause wear?

And a filter actually filters better threw age?

Originally Posted By: finalyzd

Sorta, kinda.
wink.gif

The point is that oil protects better when it's slightly used than when it's totally fresh from the bottle.

Let's say it takes 1,000 miles for the oil to start working better. This number is a totally random guess but it serves to make the point. So, if you change your oil every 3,000 miles, your engine spends 1/3rd of its life with oil that is too new. However, if you change your oil every 6,000 miles, it only spends 1/6th of its life with oil that is too new.

Obviously you don't want to take this too far, because the oil will eventually break down and not protect as well. But you don't want your OCIs to be too short, either.

As they get clogged up, they let less and less through. However, this also restricts oil flow, which is why you always have to change them eventually.

Perhaps it's just the ability to measure wear via a UOA that decreases as engine oil is used past the point of it's normal lifespan.

Going 8,000 miles on dino oil may not hurt some engines, but i can not believe that changing ones oil every 3,000 miles in the same vehicle would accelerate wear.

Now if you changed your oil and filter every 100 miles, you could possibly accelerate wear with all the additional dry starts just after the oil is changed.

I am with you, sir.
Maintain the thing well, and it will serve you for many years and many miles.
While I have read of wear metals peaking in the first 1K or so of a fresh fill, I think that there must be far more engines suffering from neglect than there are suffering from too-frequent changes.
This is a bit of a "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" thread.

Am I so confused.

No, changing oil too often shows more frequency in a transitional increase in wear metals as read by UOA.

My best understanding is that it's a seating process. New film formations displace older ones. Some material, which could either be resident or entrained in the last formation, is released/displaced/liberated ..etc.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that every SAE publication has an agenda. No one funds too much research just for the knowing. If it doesn't prove what they want it to, they just don't publish it. If another publication proves something on someone's agenda, they reference it. ...so filter the data for where it "wants" to take you.

That isn't to say that I don't agree that longer drains are a good thing (
56.gif
56.gif
) ..but marketing is marketing no matter how you dress it up.

Here is my cousin`s take on this ~ He claims that the detergents in fresh oil , are abrasive , and actually wear on metal parts . As the oil gets older, the detergents wear out, and the oil is less abrasive, but still lubricates ok .
He changes the conventional he uses at 5k.
He is not a scientist or engineer, just a long time mechanic, motor head.
Me ? not sure,, I do 3k,,,different conv`s, always have, and my last GMC trk went over 260k and got sold not using any appreciable amount of oil, my current GMC, 189k , almost no usage, runs super
, just my 2Cents

I would make an exception on extended OCI's.....Break in period. Actually what ARCOgraphite said, I did not know about break in oil was low detergency. I knew about the race oil but I did not know that about factory fill. It makes sense now that I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back