Engine temp on chevy small block

This engine is in a 56 Bel-Air and while driving the engine temp is around 190 but if left at idle when engine is warm it goes up to around 210-220. Is this normal or is there an issue with the cooling system. There are no leaks.
Also coolant has been changed within the past year. Any suggestions?

there is an issue. may need to pull the thermostat to make sure it isn't stuck open and boil it to ensure functionality

On this model if it still has the stock radiator, there may be no shroud behind the radiator core on the fan side. Danchuk who is well known for producing many Tri-5 Chevy parts makes a replacement shroud. You can order it from Summit Racing. Please see the link below.

If your car still has it's original fan shroud, then you may want to look into replacing the stock fan with one that moves more air flow.

On this model if it still has the stock radiator, there may be no shroud behind the radiator core on the fan side. Danchuk who is well known for producing many Tri-5 Chevy parts makes a replacement shroud. You can order it from Summit Racing. Please see the link below.

If your car still has it's original fan shroud, then you may want to look into replacing the stock fan with one that moves more air flow.

There is no shroud on this engine with stock fan.

If it was stuck open wouldn't the coolant flow and cool the engine down?
If your thermostat is stuck open (or removed), the flow doesn't stop at the radiator to allow the fans to extract the heat out of the coolant held in the radiator at idle. Then. when you're driving, the natural flow of air extracts heat as the coolant endlessly cycles

If your thermostat is stuck open (or removed), the flow doesn't stop at the radiator to allow the fans to extract the heat out of the coolant held in the radiator at idle. Then. when you're driving, the natural flow of air extracts heat as the coolant endlessly cycles
Gotcha...thanks

Is it possible the thermostat is not fully opening or stuck half way open and not allowing enough flow when idling. At idle the pump is not pumping the same amount as when the rpms are higher, correct?

If I remember correctly all my older SBC's ran 180 degree thermostats.

there is an issue. may need to pull the thermostat to make sure it isn't stuck open and boil it to ensure functionality
Not the thermostat
Is it possible the thermostat is not fully opening or stuck half way open and not allowing enough flow when idling. At idle the pump is not pumping the same amount as when the rpms are higher, correct?

If I remember correctly all my older SBC's ran 180 degree thermostats.
195 was oe at least back into the 60's. 50's may have been less.

Last edited:
Not the thermostat

195 was oe at least back into the 60's. 50's may have been less.
OE Delco part for a 61 Biscayne I worked on was 180. If the System is healthy and you have a shroud and a nice multiblade clutch fan upgrade then 195 is better for sure, IMO.

What engine is in it now? Original radiator type or aluminum? What's the idle rpm? How many fan blades? Can you post a pic?
Not sure on rpm but engine idles smooth. Original radiator and 4 or 5 blades on the fan. Also no shroud

Original radiator and 4 or 5 blades on the fan. Also no shroud
Original radiator on 65+ year old car? If it's not leaking it must have restricted flow from built up corrosion in the tubes. 30 or 40 years ago you could take it to a radiator shop where they would take the tanks off and either shove some rods in the tubes to unblock it, or just put in a new core. Doubt many of those shops still around. How much is a new rad?

Original radiator on 65+ year old car? If it's not leaking it must have restricted flow from built up corrosion in the tubes. 30 or 40 years ago you could take it to a radiator shop where they would take the tanks off and either shove some rods in the tubes to unblock it, or just put in a new core. Doubt many of those shops still around. How much is a new rad?
My +/- 15 year old Volvo did exactly the same thing. Good on the highway but ran hot when the speed was down. Had the radiator cleaned inside and out and the problem was solved. Having the radiator cleaned cost very little.

This style radiator does not have regular tubes if it's original . It has passages that are not rodable due to the fact that the passages "wiggle" for lack of better terms.

My old boss wouldn't touch one with a torch either. That's a quick way to kill one that old

What engine is in it now? If it's idling too low it won't pull enough air.how far is the fan from the radiator?
305 or 350 I'm not with the car so I can't get pictures right now. What is the good rpm setting for it

Back