Engine shield motor treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across this stuff at Canadian tire today. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.
And if your comment will consist of snake oil this and that please don't bother with a comment. It adds nothing,especially if you never used,nor have any experience with it.
Thank you

OK... so unless we have used it you aren't going to listen to any comments? I think you will have a problem in that most people on this site aren't inclined to add snake oil these products to our engines.

Beyond that however, look at their own test data page. Meaningless tests and vague results. Full of "up to" statements. Except for that one where it states a 5% increase in gas mileage. Really?? Five percent? That one right there tells me it is bogus

From their site:

Why should I use Engine Shield(™) Engine Treatment, isn't oil enough?

There are many good reasons. Please review Product Overview and here are some additional thoughts.

1. The average car is worn out at 120,000 miles, even if the oil is changed regularly. Many argue that this is planned obsolescence by the automobile industry. Use of our Engine Treatment in you engine, transmission and differential will greatly extend the life of your car, for a very low expenditure of time and money.

2. As a result of reduced friction, your fuel economy will improve. This savings alone will pay for the cost of the product.

3. Use of Engine Shield(™) Engine Treatment will afford you and your family an extra safety margin. In the event of a loss of oil pressure, with our Engine Treatment you are more likely to make it home or to a service station before the engine seizes and your repair bill will likely be smaller. The coating of Engine Shield(™) Engine Treatment on the internal engine parts will provide extra protection if the oil pressure fails.

2009-06-12-SnakeOil_250.jpg

Originally Posted By: kschachn
OK... so unless we have used it you aren't going to listen to any comments? I think you will have a problem in that most people on this site aren't inclined to add snake oil these products to our engines.

Beyond that however, look at their own test data page. Meaningless tests and vague results. Full of "up to" statements. Except for that one where it states a 5% increase in gas mileage. Really?? Five percent? That one right there tells me it is bogus

No. That comment was directed at skyship who consistently trashes peoples choices referring to them as snake oil and useless.
I appreciate all constructive comments

Originally Posted By: cmorr
From their site:

3. Use of Engine Shield(™) Engine Treatment will afford you and your family an extra safety margin. In the event of a loss of oil pressure, with our Engine Treatment you are more likely to make it home or to a service station before the engine seizes and your repair bill will likely be smaller. The coating of Engine Shield(™) Engine Treatment on the internal engine parts will provide extra protection if the oil pressure fails.

2009-06-12-SnakeOil_250.jpg

Didn't Duralube used to run those late night commercials where they ran a motor w/o oil except for the Duralube?

Ya. I figured as much. I went to the website and read that absurd comment of driving it without oil.
They sure do have a nice display though.
Thanks for your input gents

The thing is, as long as there is little or no load on an engine you can operate it for quite a while with "no" oil. Mind you, that doesn't mean an engine that has been torn down and the bearings all wiped clean with solvent. Not that kind of "no oil".

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Didn't Duralube used to run those late night commercials where they ran a motor w/o oil except for the Duralube?

Why don't you do something intelligent like post a sample off to Blackstones and answer your own questions?? There is no point asking about some new miracle cure in a can without real data. The advertising is total rubbish and I will bet you a VOA for this new canned con trick says it is just some El cheapo base stock plus the cheapest grade of Moly that would not corrode the bottom of the can before it was sold.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: kschachn

No. That comment was directed at skyship who consistently trashes peoples choices referring to them as snake oil and useless.
I appreciate all constructive comments

Originally Posted By: skyship
Why don't you do something intelligent like post a sample off to Blackstones and answer your own questions?? There is no point asking about some new miracle cure in a can without real data.

Data? Why? Don't you know that when someone just posts "It works" that you're not suppossed to question it?

I mixed a little of their Weapon Shield in with a tank of bar & chain oil on a chain saw. The chain rotated continuously at idle, whereas before without Weapon Shield, the chain always stopped at idle.

Recently, I added around 12 drops of their Weapon Shield to bar & chain oil in reservoir in a different chain saw & got same results. Chain wouldn't stop at idle & idled faster. I concluded it reduced friction.

I'm still experimenting...

Years ago, I used some of the formulator's previous version of the product (MT-10) in a car engine & saw a noticeable decrease in operating temperature. The formulator departed that co & started another with the improved, reformulated SteelShield products. I'm running the words together here so it can be found by the search engine easier.

I,m currently using their SteelShield EPA in a car & truck engine, also in the truck differential & transfer case.

Haven't driven truck enough since to determine much except noticeably longer time to warmup to normal operating temperature--about twice as long. I don't think the cooler running engine is particularly helpful to mpg during winter. But, I've seen no loss of mpg.

I've been running near full recommended dose (6oz of recommended 8 per gallon) in the (Prius C) car engine for last apprx 5500 miles, since 10oct2013. Again, the cooler running engine is not particularly helpful to mpg during winter. However, I have been getting 70+ mpg trips on a regular basis, whereas, before, that was rare.
Per the onboard mpg tracker, year round average has been around 62-65 mpg. Thus far this month, with longer, warmer days, average is just below 75 mpg. By the way, I'm a hypermiler.

I've been unable to disprove any of their claims. I think a couple of their claims is smoothing of the metal surfaces & reduced metallic debris in the oil, with use of SteelShield products. I plan to do some UOA's to see if they confirm the reduced metallic debris claim.

And, I reckon part of the reason for the results I have experienced with SteelShield products has to due with "Faraday reaction of like charges".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back