Engine running quieter with Mobil 1 5w-30 EP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in mine & the wifes cars a few days ago.Walmart had the Mobil1 5w-30 EP for $26 for a 5qt jug so I thought I'd try it out.

The vehicles:
2002m Mustang GT w/ 89k miles
Several mods & run hard on a daily basis.
Using regulat M1 5w-30 with FL820S filter changing every 3-4K.
Had quite a bit of valvetrain noise as most of the 4.6's do.

2003 Honda Accord w/ 58k miles
Bone stock
Using Motorcraft 5w-30 blend with Pure One filter changing about every 3-4k unless the wife forgets to tell me she's hit mileage. I've come to learn since we got married last year that she pays absolutely no attention to the change sticker I put on the window for her, LOL. I now pay much closer attention.
The valvetrain was a little noisy in her car also.

Switched to the 5w-30 EP with the FL820S in my car and the valvetrain noise has almost completely disappeared.

Put the same oil in her car with a Fram TG filter and the same thing. Almost all valvtrain noise is gone. YES, I know, FRAM sux, I agree. But that was the only filter for her car that Walmart carried. There were only MC & Fram on the shelves. I went yesterday and stocked up on some MC and Pure One filters. I figure using the fram for one interval isn't going to kill anything.

So for $5.20 a qt. in the 5qt jug theM1 5w-30 EP is working great so far. And both engines run smoother as well as being quieter.

I figured I'd post this up in case anyone was thinking of trying this oils out. I'll update with a post later on if the valvetrain noise starts to come back.

Last edited:
Of course your engine is quiter with M1, that's because your engine is wearing super fast and you have no compression. Why else would you have high Iron in a UOA?
LOL.gif
(J/K)

I have had the same luck with M1, and even better luck with Amsoil for my application.

BTW: Nothing wrong with Fram, but for the money there are better options IMO.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
Please tell me you're going longer than 4000 miles on M1 EP in a Honda!

This is the first run of EP in the Honda and yes, I'm going to probably got to 5 or 6k with it

Quote:
I've come to learn since we got married last year that she pays absolutely no attention to the change sticker I put on the window for her, LOL. I now pay much closer attention.

Sounds familiar. Mine will notice a leaf fell off a plastic plant in the house but won't notice the mileage on her car.

John

Is the Honda a V6 or I4?

If your changing MB1 EP every 6k miles I hope your wife is driving up and down hills in bumper to bumper traffic at 100 degrees ambient temp. lol

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Of course your engine is quiter with M1, that's because your engine is wearing super fast and you have no compression. Why else would you have high Iron in a UOA?
LOL.gif
(J/K)

I have had the same luck with M1, and even better luck with Amsoil for my application.

BTW: Nothing wrong with Fram, but for the money there are better options IMO.

Oh I completely agree that there are better option for the money than the Fram. I've avoided Fram like the plague for quite a few years now. I just hate them.

I was at Walmart at about 1AM buying the stuff to come home and do the oil changes so no other place was open. I've been running Pure One or M1 filters on her car since I started doing the maintenance on it. Wally World only had 2 M1 filters on the shelf and they weren't for her car. Besides that it was all Fram or MC. So I went with a TG fram for this change ONLY. If I could find a MC filter that would work on her car I'd probably use that, but until i do the car will get the Pure One for all changes after this.

And LOL, I hope the N1 in my car isn't wearing everything out that fast. I plan on putting on a filter magnet and cutting open the next few filters to see how much junk it catches.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Quote:
I've come to learn since we got married last year that she pays absolutely no attention to the change sticker I put on the window for her, LOL. I now pay much closer attention.

Sounds familiar. Mine will notice a leaf fell off a plastic plant in the house but won't notice the mileage on her car.

John

Haha. I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Put gas in here
Put the key in here
Press this pedal to stop and this one to go.

What else is there to know, right?

Originally Posted By: John_K
Quote:

John

The same is true with my wife and daughter. I don't even bother asking anymore because all I get is a blank stare if I ask anything about their car maintenance.

But if you move a pillow off the couch, watch out
21.gif

Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux
Is the Honda a V6 or I4?

If your changing MB1 EP every 6k miles I hope your wife is driving up and down hills in bumper to bumper traffic at 100 degrees ambient temp. lol

It's an I4. She spends a lot of time idling in rush hour traffic and so far the past week here in south Texas the temps have a been 100-102F. The AC is also run on high at all times when in the car. Heat is her mortal enemy, LOL.

Last edited:
I just got back from Walmart to pick up a jug of 15W50 so I can take advantage of the $10 mail in rebate. I was pleasantly suprised when it rang up for $22 instead of $26 like it said on the shelf. Did Mobil recently lower the prices of their oil (I haven`t bought any M1 in awhile)?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I just got back from Walmart to pick up a jug of 15W50 so I can take advantage of the $10 mail in rebate. I was pleasantly suprised when it rang up for $22 instead of $26 like it said on the shelf. Did Mobil recently lower the prices of their oil (I haven`t bought any M1 in awhile)?

the 15w50 and all M1 has been $22/6 for a wile now.

OP, the EP line is good oil with nice add pack.

AdRock,
I have to disagree that 4.6 Fords have valve train noise. Mine has been very quite along with others I know that have the 4.6. Also there is no difference between th M1 5-30 and the 5-30 EP. Even though I have always used the 10-30 or 10-30EP, last year I did make two OCIs with the M1 5-30 and it was great. 10,000 OCIs.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
Originally Posted By: bepperb
Please tell me you're going longer than 4000 miles on M1 EP in a Honda!

This is the first run of EP in the Honda and yes, I'm going to probably got to 5 or 6k with it
6 k is still a waste; and its not being "safe" just silly. This is a stout oil, 1 year 10K NO problem. Thats why it's more $$ and called EP. I would not worry about it in the honda, its a water cooled engine. prolly runs 195-220deg. F no matter what. Honda filters are made by Fram (Honeywell) BTW; albeit to a higher std. Good luck with this run.

Rather then start another Mobil thread maybe i'll chime in here. What is the difference between M1 5w30 and M1 5w30 Truck/Suv? They are the same Viscosity, is it that the T/S has more detergents?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AdRock
I changed the oil in mine & the wifes cars a few days ago.Walmart had the Mobil1 5w-30 EP for $26 for a 5qt jug so I thought I'd try it out.

The vehicles:
2002m Mustang GT w/ 89k miles
Several mods & run hard on a daily basis.
Using regulat M1 5w-30 with FL820S filter changing every 3-4K.
Had quite a bit of valvetrain noise as most of the 4.6's do.

2003 Honda Accord w/ 58k miles
Bone stock
Using Motorcraft 5w-30 blend with Pure One filter changing about every 3-4k unless the wife forgets to tell me she's hit mileage. I've come to learn since we got married last year that she pays absolutely no attention to the change sticker I put on the window for her, LOL. I now pay much closer attention.
The valvetrain was a little noisy in her car also.

Switched to the 5w-30 EP with the FL820S in my car and the valvetrain noise has almost completely disappeared.

Put the same oil in her car with a Fram TG filter and the same thing. Almost all valvtrain noise is gone. YES, I know, FRAM sux, I agree. But that was the only filter for her car that Walmart carried. There were only MC & Fram on the shelves. I went yesterday and stocked up on some MC and Pure One filters. I figure using the fram for one interval isn't going to kill anything.

So for $5.20 a qt. in the 5qt jug theM1 5w-30 EP is working great so far. And both engines run smoother as well as being quieter.

I figured I'd post this up in case anyone was thinking of trying this oils out. I'll update with a post later on if the valvetrain noise starts to come back.

I think M1 EP may well be the "best"
LOL.gif
readily available over the counter synthetic oil.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back