Engine Reving /Oil protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a manual trans. and I find myself shifting at high rpms at times. For my EconoBox, I consider 4K high. Is this bad for an engine even if using a good synthetic oil? I hear so many people say that revving the engine as long as you don't redline it, is good for it. I have almost 100K miles on it and I have noticed that it doesnt have the same HP as it once did. Everything has been maintained and I've used a synthetic oil all the time. I figured with that many miles, I can't expect much more.

[ December 01, 2002, 01:57 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

nono.gif
Buster, high revs on an engine are never benificial for it.It puts a much more strenuous load on the rotating assembly in the engine, which is never good for bearings and such. Plus, high revs develop a lot higher cylinder pressure, which side-loads the pistons considerably, and can exacerbate any ring or valve stem leak-down problems you may be having. This is not the immediate type of damage, just drastically increased long-term wear and tear.

Can't really agree with this. 4K is not high. Just the opposite is rough on an engine...lugging!
nono.gif

I agree, 'lugging' an engine is terrible for it.
I did not say that 4,000 rpm was high. I just said that high rpms in general were not good. 4,000 r's sounds like a safe shift point.
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Lugging is hard on the bearings, revving is hard on the rings, take your pick.

Fred...
wink.gif

PS: 4 k is not excessive tho, I go a lot higher.

[ December 01, 2002, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: palmerwmd ]

Wait what is considered lugging?
I my car can be dumped down to 1100-1200 in 5th gear at just under 40mph and it doesnt make any wierd noises and pulls like a monster. Guess I am asking how do you know if its lugging? Also if you are cruiseing adn not accelerating can you cruise in a very high gear, 6th, at 850rpms?

in my opinoin the temp matters...if my car is cold i dont rev past 3. the new cars have this protection at 5k when the car is cold. i believe that the oil wont protect the engine well. with the red line at 6.1 i go past it maybe a few times to 7.6 if im really angry...but even redline should be avoided...i stay under 5...thats it. and my engine is a 91 with 158k on it...still running good and i want to keep it that way

quote:

Originally posted by 94 formula:
Wait what is considered lugging?
I my car can be dumped down to 1100-1200 in 5th gear at just under 40mph and it doesnt make any wierd noises and pulls like a monster. Guess I am asking how do you know if its lugging? Also if you are cruiseing adn not accelerating can you cruise in a very high gear, 6th, at 850rpms?

It's hard to lug an LT1 since it makes so much power down low. Other engines wouldn't be able to handle the conditions you describe above, but the LT1 can. For those that don't know it's specs, it makes 325ft.lbs of torque at just 2400rpm! And believe me, I bet that it makes 75% of that torque number right off idle, it's why I love driving my car everyday, it just pulls amazingly at low rpm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back