Engine Restore Compatible With High-Zinc Oils?

I've got a tired old Ford 351W with low compression in my boat. My hope is to get another season of gentle service out of it before I rebuild it.

So I was thinking I'd throw in a heavier oil weight and a can of Engine Restore. Based on some web searching I found the best oil for this engine in this application is Valvoline 20W50 Racing Oil, because of its high zinc content.

Pondering that choice, because the zinc wants to make things slippery while the Engine Restore wants to adhere to things. So is this a bad combination? Would I be better off using Castrol GTX 20W50 with the Engine Restore?

Thanks.

Help me out here, what is the mechanism of ZDDP anti-friction chemistry and how it will interfere with Restore? As opposed to ZDDP's primary role as an anti-wear compound.

Run the heaviest oil you can find and forget the restore. My reccomendation, Valvoline VR1 Straight 60 for a tired old engine, providing we're talking mild / warm weather.

It could be the rings are just crudded up and if you cleaned them with a soak the rings would seal better.

Most marine engines die of water ingestion. Rather than wear out.

Back