Engine quieter with Pennzoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, I've run Redline, M1, Pennzoil Ultra and multiple grades of Mobil 1 with no difference in sound in the Expedition. The only engine I've ever had get quieter was the Subaru we had briefly where M1 0w-40 was significantly quieter than bulk PYB 10w-30.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
No surprise..Most every Mobil user says that it makes the motor louder.

Not this one...M1, QSUD, whatever my dealer used sounded the same to me.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Best F100
Tig 1, With all due respect, you have never used anything other than Mobil 1. So you don't have anything to compare it to. My suggestion: is to give us your first ever usage of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20 or 5W20 and let us know what you think.

I've run a lot of different things over the years in my personal vehicles, and while I tend to stick with something for a long time, when I do switch, I can never notice a difference, unless something is horribly amiss.

Well I do know if an engine is noisy or not regardless of what oil I use. I found an oil 38 years ago that performed well, so why switch? I go to the store and buy M1. Come home and change it out. Then drive for 10K with no concerns about it. Very simple.

No disrespect. Sorry, that argument would be like someone who has been a prisoner for 38 years trying to CONVINCE me that apple pie (which is ALL they had been fed for 38 years) is the best pie. Apple pie may be, however unless you have eaten something else, you may not know what good is, or noise is, for that matter. Your taste (and your ears) just get used to the status quo, year after year. And that, my friend, is what is called an UNBIASED opinion. And for the record, make my pie, Key Lime.

Looks like the board may have to "pass the hat" to collect $30 - $40 to have Tig1 have his review of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Red Line 0W20. Tig1, don't make us have to do it. But the big question is, WOULD you try it, if we all go to the trouble to collect $30 in a GOFundme account? Or would you just pocket the money and continue to use Mobil 1 0W20?

Pocket the money and use M1 0-20.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Warstud
No surprise..Most every Mobil user says that it makes the motor louder.

Not this one...M1, QSUD, whatever my dealer used sounded the same to me.

Mobil 1 has helped our engines run quieter and smoother than the other oils I have tried. And, yes, I have used Pennzoil.

My brother has a 1997 Civic. He bought it used in 2007 with 90,000 mi.. It now has 285,000 mi., and during that time, he used Platinum then Ultra, so we know what the engine sounds like with Pennzoil. He switched to Mobil 1 these last two oil changes. The engine is smoother and quieter with Mobil than it ever was Pennzoil. With Pennzoil, there was audible valve noise, not horrible but noticeable. With Mobil, the valve noise is quieter. My brother is pleased, he says it is "purring" now.

Our dad has a 2006 Tundra. I have used Pennzoil Ultra in it. Mobil is in it now, and it is running better now with Mobil than it has with the other oils.

We have Kubota tractors as well. I was using Rotella T6 in them, then switched to Mobil 1 TDT 5W-40. They are running quieter with Mobil than Rotella.

I wasn't expecting to really tell any differences because Pennzoil and Rotella are good oils, but, I was pleasantly surprised.

Its not that the Pennzoil made it quieter, its just that it was so loud with the M1 that it is back to normal noise standards now...
wink.gif

Flame suit on! Bring it!

I was using Mobil 1 0w40 and TGMO 0w20 (10k km - severe service) before using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30. Guess what? Now it is significantly quieter with Pennzoil.

I am not a brand loyal person, and I think it gets louder the more you use it. It wasn't that loud when I first put Mobil 1 in it.

I'd use M1 0W40 without hesitation. However, I got a stash of PUP 5w30 / PYB 10w30 and the price was WAY cheaper than M1.

All brands sound the same to me. Even between conventionals and synthetics or viscosity changes between 20 and 30 or 30 and 40. No change. I may have initially thought there was (QSGB being quiet or EDGE 0W-40 feeling "ponderous"), but after a couple hundred miles...all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back