Engine quieter with Pennzoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the years QS, Pennz, Mobil Super, Shell, Valvoline, Kendall various bulk oils at Quickie Lubes, and Mobil 1 for the past 4 years. Still waiting on my first "noisy" engine to experiment with.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
How come nobody say Valvoline quiet there engine down?? Ain't Valvoline a good quality motor oil ??????

Valvoline MaxLife is noticeably quieter versus Mobil 1 in my Fusion. But that's a regular synthetic versus a mostly conventional high mileage oil. So that's not really apples to apples.

I'm still waiting for M1 0-20 to make my Ford engines noisy. It's possible that I have used M1 0-20 longer than most here on BITOG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Run
The wax myth just doesn't want to die. To this day I can find someone who still avoids Pennzoil like the plague.

I was kidding. Couldn't help it, sorry.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I'm still waiting for M1 0-20 to make my Ford engines noisy. It's possible that I have used M1 0-20 longer than most here on BITOG.

Tig 1, With all due respect, you have never used anything other than Mobil 1. So you don't have anything to compare it to. My suggestion: is to give us your first ever usage of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20 or 5W20 and let us know what you think.

Originally Posted By: Best F100

+1

Tig 1, With all due respect, you have never used anything other than Mobil 1. So you don't have anything to compare it to. My suggestion: is to give us your first ever usage of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W20 or 5W20 and let us know what you think.

What's the point? The engine is already quiet. Two modes of operation for an engine:

1. Quiet
2. Not as quiet.

I am in the last stage of cleaning up my 2004 Ford Ranger 4.0L V6. I just changed the oil today.

Out: 5 qts PYB 5W30 and the Motorcraft FL820S. 3200 miles on the oil.

In: 4 qts Shell Rotella T 15W40 + 1 qt Marvel Mystery Oil and new Fl820S.

My fussy ears believe the PYB with 3200 miles on it was quieter than the Rotella + MMO.

According to the viscosity calculators, the viscosities at operating temperature should be about equal.

Looking at the VOAs of PYB and Rotella T show PYB has the moly and boron additives while the Rotella T does not. I don't believe MMO has any moly or boron either.

This engine really got quiet on Kendall GT1 Synthetic. This is high boron and titanium.

I think the add pack has a lot to do with it.

An interesting test would be PYB to M1 and M1 to PYB. Or other synthetics with moly / boron.

+2. He's told us that he's used M1 exclusively for over 20 years. It's kinda hard to tell if Pennzoil or any other oil made the car quieter if he's never used it for so long.

I found some VOA info on MMO and it does have 39 PPM of boron. So the Rotella MMO blend would maintain the boron concentration. Other Rotella additives would be reduced.

I can not bash M1 either because M1 5W30 put 145,000 miles on the Ranger with ZERO engine mechanical repairs. It also does not use or lose oil in 6k mile changes.

I'm not sure what oil I will use for the rest of this trucks life.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Platinum 10W-30 would probably be even more quiet.

My most recent oil change was up from 5w-20 VWB to 5w-30 PP (5 qts + 1 qt 10w-30 Penn Ultra). I told my wife I went up a grade because that's what the engine was originally specified for from 1991-2000. Our 1997 went 230K miles on the 5w-30. Of course, I told her it might be a little noisier or act a tad different on the "thicker" oil. So the first time she comes back from a drive: " It's definitely noisier. " I was expecting it might actually get quieter. And I can't here any difference one way or the other. You often hear what you want to hear. This car has had a half dozen different conventional and synthetic oils. To me, it's been quite with all of them. But now I listen more intently so see if I can hear what my wife hears.

I've run a lot of different things over the years in my personal vehicles, and while I tend to stick with something for a long time, when I do switch, I can never notice a difference, unless something is horribly amiss.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Platinum 10W-30 would probably be even more quiet.

In order to find out, I will just have to try the PP or PUP 10W30 and see what happens.

Originally Posted By: Garak

I've run a lot of different things over the years in my personal vehicles, and while I tend to stick with something for a long time, when I do switch, I can never notice a difference, unless something is horribly amiss.

Well I do know if an engine is noisy or not regardless of what oil I use. I found an oil 38 years ago that performed well, so why switch? I go to the store and buy M1. Come home and change it out. Then drive for 10K with no concerns about it. Very simple.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for M1 0-20 to make my Ford engines noisy.

I'm using Mobil 1 Extended Performance in the Impala and it's as quiet as can be. Walking around the car this morning I could hardly tell it was running.

The Camry has over 100K miles, and I have started using Mobil 1 Extended for it so I can extend the OCI past 5,000 miles. My college age daughters mostly drive this car and put 2,500 - 3,000 miles a month on it.

I've tried Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum in the Mercury and to be honest it's a toss up. I have a bunch of Pennzoil 5W-20 so that's what I'm using now, but I wouldn't hesitate to use any Mobil oil in it.

Well I do know if an engine is noisy or not regardless of what oil I use. I found an oil 38 years ago that performed well, so why switch? I go to the store and buy M1. Come home and change it out. Then drive for 10K with no concerns about it. Very simple.

I've used Mobil 1 without any noise issues, either.

Originally Posted By: Garak

No disrespect. Sorry, that argument would be like someone who has been a prisoner for 38 years trying to CONVINCE me that apple pie (which is ALL they had been fed for 38 years) is the best pie. Apple pie may be, however unless you have eaten something else, you may not know what good is, or noise is, for that matter. Your taste (and your ears) just get used to the status quo, year after year. And that, my friend, is what is called an UNBIASED opinion. And for the record, make my pie, Key Lime.

Looks like the board may have to "pass the hat" to collect $30 - $40 to have Tig1 have his review of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Red Line 0W20. Tig1, don't make us have to do it. But the big question is, WOULD you try it, if we all go to the trouble to collect $30 in a GOFundme account? Or would you just pocket the money and continue to use Mobil 1 0W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back