Engine quieter with Pennzoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
By my user name it is obvious I am a SOPUS oil guy, but I am by no means a basher of any quality oil. When the wife purchased her current 2015 Legacy I decided to use M1 AFE 0w-20. Flash forward to this oil service; she currently has 20K on the car. I decided due to Walmart’s sale price to buy Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 for this oil change. I know I have continually read about how sometimes M1 is perceived as a “loud” oil. I’ve even chimed in on this in the past with the old butt dynometer. But I’m not really POSITIVE if I have ever experienced an oil being noticeably quieter….. until now.

The 2.5 horizontally opposed 2.5 fb Subaru engine in her car has always been loud when cold. Since changing to Pennzoil this week I cannot believe how much quieter it is with a cold engine. BTW the car has only seen Carquest blue filter (Wix produced before AAP took over Carquest) as I had a stash of them. So I can’t attribute the quietness to that. For some reason her car is legitimately quieter with Pennzoil synthetic.

Now before someone interprets this as a M1 bash. The M1 has been great. We have had no oil consumption with the M1, which is somewhat unusual with the newer Subaru engines. I may go back to M1, especially if the car starts to consume the Pennzoil. But I can honestly say that I have experienced the phenomenon of an oil making an engine quieter.

This comes up very often about different brands of oil quieting engines down. What comes to mind is the last sound you heard the engine make when you turned it off before changing the oil was with oil that has been in the sump an entire OCI. Which is probably spent or close to it. The first sound you hear when you fire the engine up after the oil change is fresh new clean oil. Odds are that has a lot to do with the improvement many of us hear.

BTW I'm a Sopus user too. Currently two vehicles of my three vehicle fleet is using Spous products, so this is not a bash on Sopus from me.

QSGB has always kept the Focus of mine quieter than with M1 to date. Haven't ever used PYB in it yet, maybe I will though since PYB still is $14~

Makes good sense.
I'm switching over to PP as well because it's sitting here
smile.gif

I have Magnatec in it now.

We've used M1 AFE, Subaru synthetic, and PP in our Subaru 2.5, all with OEM filters. No discernible oil consumption and no noticeable noise difference. The only time we had significant engine noise was during an exceptionally cold morning (-37 deg F), with M1 AFE , but that disappeared after about 5 min of use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SanProsan
Most oils have a little wax in them, pennzoil has the same amount as every other oil, but it seems like people only know about pennzoil's reputation.

I started using Pennzoil back in the early 70's when my cousin got me interested in "hot rods" as a kid growing up. I started changing my father's oil and that's all we used. Over the years I switched between Mobil and Pennzoil products, and now once again back to Pennzoil. Their products were good as far back as I can remember.

The wax myth just doesn't want to die. To this day I can find someone who still avoids Pennzoil like the plague.

If you put in a gallon of bleach, instead of oil, the engine will get really quiet. Of course, it will get noisier for awhile, but it will get really quiet, eventually.

My point? This obsession with one oil being quieter than another is silly. Though.....I do miss my hearing, sometimes.

Normally I don't put much stock into these story's but did
experience a definite quieting of the 4.0 eng in my Ranger when I put in some of my old stock Penn Ultra I had from when Walmart cleared their shelves. It then had about 50K on it. I had previously used other name brands of synthetic and some Mobil5000 non-syn. A friend dubbed it "Old Growley" way back in its early days. When you tromped the pedal a bit getting on expressway that motor would produce a distinct growl.

Now it doesn't. And it will soon be needing a change and I don't have any more of the old PU. May try the new PP/PU as I've never used any before. Perhap some Quaker State.

Sounds like you found a good oil for that motor. Use you ears, they help define compatible oils as far as owner comfort goes
smile.gif

The engine may not care, but an owner like me want quiet. I go to whatever oil does that for any given engine
smile.gif

I just put in the old ultra stuff in my celica. I think it's quieter than the peak conv that came out, but then again i was almost a quart low on peak before it came out.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
No surprise..Most every Mobil user says that it makes the motor louder.

Don't tell me that. I just bought M1 for the first time and it's going in next. I hope this isn't the case.

Originally Posted By: Xrs2zz
Originally Posted By: Warstud
No surprise..Most every Mobil user says that it makes the motor louder.

Don't tell me that. I just bought M1 for the first time and it's going in next. I hope this isn't the case.

No worries, use it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back