Engine oil in a motor that hasn't run in at least a week...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys,

I apologize if this has been discussed before. What are your opinions when it comes to an engine that has been sitting cold for too long (ie. 1 week or more)?

I have been told to remove the spark plugs and crank the engine to "rebuild" oil pressure and make sure adequate oil is surrounding the important parts.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks,

Oz

1 week is nothing! I have stored sports cars of mine for longer than that and done nothing special at all. When I had my 98 Formula I parked it in my garage and did not start it once for 4 solid months. It fired up in the spring without hesitation and the engine made no strange noises at all. I was running 5w30 Mobil 1 in that car, and did not do any special things to it prior to storage, I just filled the gas tank to the top and put it away (the oil was changed a day or two before storage also)

So, as long as you give more time for the engine to fully circulate the oil at idle, then you should be fine, right? I'm also thinking that there is an increase in wear metal content since a lot of the oil has seeped back down to the oil pan.

Regards,

Oz

I didn't do anything special at all when i fired it up actually, I just let it run long enough for me to fasten my seatbelt and turn on the radio and away I went! (gently as always at first)

One thing you can do for a motor that has been sitting for a while (longer than a week, more like a month or 2), is to disconnect the coil and let the motor turn over a few times to pump some oil...then reconnect the coil and let the ignition kick in (those solar battery maintainers are good for vehicles that sit alot..). It's a good idea for first cranks on new remanufactured engines too. I would probably also put new oil in a vehicle that is going to sit for long periods (like when you buy that new truck and start using the old one for dirty work only...)

A week????????? Are you kidding me? No problem. Lots more things to worry about. Maybe a few months and then the concerns are tires and battery or mice in the air cleaner. Relax man.
smile.gif

Well...I seriously doubt if you would see any difference in oil film right at the bearings in say 2 days or 7 days or 2 weeks, or 2 months. After the oil cools down-time is pretty much frozen in time, so to speak. I still maintain-that syn clings a little better to the metal than conventional oil.

Also if you have changed a horizontal filter and you start with a dry one you get very noticable noise. Obviously thats not good-but not catastrophic.

In a related story- I owned an '88 Ranger with the larte FL-1 /PH-8(AC) filter. The AC filter did not have the antidrainback valve. So for years (stupidly) I used 'em. The truck thrashed each time it was started. Additionally the oil filter became 80% plugged after a dealer repair which allowed silicon sealant to plug it up. That continued a year with ever worse thrashing-especially during winter. However, after 145K miles the thing is still on the road.

So, I'm thinking a little noise on startup-while I dont like it, is relatively harmless.

Oz
Turning an engine over a few times before the ignition hits would be almost the same as getting a little running start at the beginning of a race.
You would have a little (extra) oil up in the bearing areas before the stress of first ignition hits.
Probably wouldn't consider it a major complaint, but modern ignitions and fuel systems start a little TOO quick, a couple turns of the engine would almost be a "pre-oiler"...I don't think it would be an issue I'd lose too much sleep over though.
For prolonged sitting, probably a bigger concern would be the battery, especially during the winter.
As was said just above, after the vehicle sits overnight, it will be about the same the next morning, next week, or next month....the oil is in the pan regardless at that point.
happy motorin...
Rando

Oz,
In my opinion I think it best to fire the motor up instead of cranking with ignition disabled,that way the cylinders will be oiled quicker from the spray coming out of the rod sides,splashing of other parts as well.

With the pickup tube submerged,an oil pump will not lose it's prime

[ September 04, 2002, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

quote:

One thing you can do for a motor that has been sitting for a while (longer than a week, more like a month or 2), is to disconnect the coil and let the motor turn over a few times to pump some oil...then reconnect the coil and let the ignition kick in (those solar battery maintainers are good for vehicles that sit alot..). It's a good idea for first cranks on new remanufactured engines too. I would probably also put new oil in a vehicle that is going to sit for long periods (like when you buy that new truck and start using the old one for dirty work only...)

ZR2,

This is basically what I'm talking about....letting the crank over without starting it. I think it's a bad idea with all that excess vibration and possibly the oil pump not properly pumping in the first place. I'm thinking a smoother 2000rpm fast idle is easier on the engine rather than "choking" the engine to death.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys,

Oz

My Mitsubishi Truck has a separate button to push to circulate the oil if not driven for a while. But my drivers never remember to lift the cab and push it.
My two homes are 450 miles apart, so I usually fly. Leave one car idle for 2 to 3 months then the other 2 or 3 weeks. It's best to leave it with realatively clean oil if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back