Engine oil from natural gas??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of curious. Is the percentage of natural gas derived base oil 90-95% with an add pack or are there other base oils mixed in. Kind of like the semi-synthetic mystery from days gone by.

Generally, the base oil is a mixture of two or more base oils of different viscosities averaging 75-85% of the total mixture.

The rest is a DI additive pack with VI thrown in to adjust to a target viscosity.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Is Pennzoil the only Motor Oil from Natural Gas?

No. Mobil has GTL. Chevron was doing Fischer Tropsch long long ago.

It all comes out of the ground. NG is very dirty when it comes out of the ground and has to be filtered.

Originally Posted by tig1
It all comes out of the ground. NG is very dirty when it comes out of the ground and has to be filtered.

What you are talking about is wet gas or dry gas. The closer you get to pure methane the dryer the gas is considered.
In production you. An tell wet gas is in a burner or flare because it smokes while dry gas does not.

Some gas flashed out of hydrocarbon liquids in production, this is usually considered wet, has higher btu's. Some high vapor pressure crudes emit gas in midstream facilities and terminals which is captured in separate sales lines.
All natural gas is treated through a dehydration process (usually glycol trays with converging streams and other chemical treatments to remove unwanted components).
The more valuable "dirty" components are caught at various points as condensate or natural gas liquids and recombined with crude to improve its btu and value on the market.

Basically when a base oil is said to be "Natural gas" based they are speaking of pure methane as the base material. Closer to the purity of what goes to your home stove/minus the mercaptin/ than what comes out of the ground.

I would presume that start gas is as pure and clean as the the stream that PAO is created from.

Last edited:
from which base oil, is it easier to remove unwanted (type linear?) paraffins?

also which base oil comes with the least amount of unwanted (vs. needed) paraffin to begin with?

Do you even really understand what 'From natural gas' means as the process it goes thru?
Did you know it comes from dino oil>evaporated>solid white (right, not politically correct) paraffin>condensed>melted>etc....

Originally Posted by dubber09
Do you even really understand what 'From natural gas' means as the process it goes thru?
Did you know it comes from dino oil>evaporated>solid white (right, not politically correct) paraffin>condensed>melted>etc....

I know what natural gas is. I know the different grades of crude. I understand the process of converting a gas to a liquid. I don't understand your question. ESL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back