Engine Oil Drain Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

Drain valves.
Been using this type on all my vehicles for years.
No wrench,no dropping plug into hot oil and no more replacing gaskets.
Never had one poblem.They're great.

quote:

Originally posted by yugrus:
How does this compare to Fram SureDrain? Are they in the same league?

I've used this type for years so I don't know much about Fram's unit.
Frankly,I can't see how it would be any better.
I do know Consumers Reports magazine did a piece on the valve I use years ago.
The article said it's a quality piece.
I agree.
It's brass with a stainless steel ball bearing.Can't fail and let oil out.
Spring load lever that has to be lifted and then moved to the right and locks down when closing.

TP,

The picture of the Fumoto above does not have the extended nipple that you can put a hose on to drain the oil. With the nipple you can just use a yellow foam ear plug and insert it, or you can use a plastic cap. When you order a Fumoto, if you order the N after the part number, it has a nipple, and a couple bucks more.

I just took a sample on my 95 PSD. I had driven the truck to town, came home and left the truck running, crawled under and removed the foam, drained a pint in a clean glass jar, then filled my Lab bottle from the drain valve. Shut the truck off and cleaned the valve, reinserted the foam, and now waiting on my analysis. And I put the pint of oil back in the engine. Very painless and clean. This is to who ever invented the Fumoto:
worshippy.gif

cheers.gif

Guys.I've never had a problem with a dirty nozzle in the many years I've used the valve..
The foam earplug is a nice idea though.

That wont work on any of my vehicles, as my drain plugs are on the bottom, not on the side. I would be scared something would hit it and break it off, as far out as it extends from the pan. But I bet it works good on higher vehicles with side drains.

Maja,

Both my trucks are straight down under the pan. The Mazda points at an angle.

Both trucks do sit high though. I don't need ramps to work on them.

I have not heard of a problem on any board with the Fumoto getting hit and knocked out. Only speculation that it could happen.

I don't work for Fumoto, and they are not even a sponsor on here, just a super product that has merit if you have a use for one.

dunno.gif

I have the Fumoto on my Suburban and its great. I attach one end of 3/8" tubing to the nipple and the other end to the rubber spout of a 2 1/2 gallon gas can. It's slick, but the drain takes much longer.

Jack

I've used Fram's SureDrain before. There are three main parts. 1)The acuator valve screws on the drain pan to permanently replace the drain plug, 2)the twist on drain hose starts the oil flow by pushing against the spring loaded actuator, 3)a dust cover scews over the valve when your done.

-
 -

Pros:
>Inexpensive
>Ext. Hose included
>Protective dust cap keeps orifice clean

Cons: -Adds about 3/4"
>misplacing the drain hose fitting means you have to remove the whole valve to drain the oil
>Threads are weak and have a tendency to strip/warp if you are not careful
>Long term durability is questionable

I would pick a Fumoto if I were to buy drain plug replacement again.

These type of drain plugs look like a great way to stay cleaner when changin the oil. Since I change every 4K, I've seen the Fram unit at Walmart.

Where can we get these Fumoto units?

Unfortunately we do not have a sponsor on BITOG that sells these. This is one place to order, and good information on how they work:

Fumoto

smile.gif

It appears to just be their in-house Part number system. Most of the T are NPT sizes and the F are MM sizes. Just a guess.

smile.gif

The valve shown in the picture is a Fumoto. I also have them on all my vehicles. The only disadvantage is that due to the smaller diameter drain hole, it takes a little more time to fully drain the oil. However, it is great if you only want to take a sample.

I have never seen a Fram, but from what I have read from those who have used both, the Fumoto is better.

I know that no one should be looking under your car but don't you worry that if someone would see it that they might drain your oil for you? What about if you would hit something in the road and break it off? I do not know how far they stick out, I am just asking?

Yes someone could see the valve, but not many people are crawling around the ground looking for it either.
Most oil pans have the drain at an angle, so the Fumoto may only stick down from the plane about 1/2" at the most. On a 4X4 you can put a clamp over the lever, but not really needed.
I have one on two trucks, Honda power washer and Dixon lawn mower. My Mazda and John Deere are next.

cheers.gif

[ March 02, 2005, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

quote:

Originally posted by 74 Laguna:
I know that no one should be looking under your car but don't you worry that if someone would see it that they might drain your oil for you? What about if you would hit something in the road and break it off? I do not know how far they stick out, I am just asking?

Not a problem with any of the vehicles I put the valve on.
A 4X4 that goes off roading may be an issue.

I would think if some is out to screw with your car they would do it in a quick,easy and cleaner way.
Rather than crawl way under your car and try to reach the valve to drain the oil.

I went Fram Sure Drain, but would have gone Fumoto if it had a cap to keep the nozzle clean for sampling and if the valve lever were a separate, removable wrench.

quote:

Originally posted by Razl:
..misplacing the drain hose fitting means you have to remove the whole valve to drain the oil ...

or buy another and just use the drain fitting, but in a pinch a bent nail probably would work (wear rubber gloves though). I should add that the Fram really drains slooooow. Fumoto, from the photo above, drains nicely. If you have any sludge chunks in your oil
shocked.gif
they probably will not get past the Fram valve. And yep, the Fumoto does look much more solidly built.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back