engine oil called Total Quartz eneo mc3 synth

Status
Not open for further replies.

rot

Can't find much on Total Quartz except on there web site and a few comments on this site.

How long for each oil change? 4k? seems a bit soon for synthetic. I change mine 5k ish depending on the look of the oil.

How good is this oil, Its been approved for euro cars like VW BMW a few others.

I drive a 2005 toyota corolla 112,000 miles on it. I used synthetic for last 4 oil changes from quaker to mobile 1 with napa filters from wix.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rot
Can't find much on Total Quartz except on there web site and a few comments on this site.

How long for each oil change? 4k? seems a bit soon for synthetic. I change mine 5k ish depending on the look of the oil.

How good is this oil, Its been approved for euro cars like VW BMW a few others.

I drive a 2005 toyota corolla 112,000 miles on it. I used synthetic for last 4 oil changes from quaker to mobile 1 with napa filters from wix.

Your OCI of 5 ish....is a waste of good oil and $$$$. IMO, you could extend out to a minimum of 7500, and most likely go even further in your Corolla.

If you won't go past 5K, just switch to a good conventional like PYB or Mobil's conventional.

How about changing the oil filter? seems that would be a good choice to keep the oil clean.

Originally Posted By: rot
How about changing the oil filter? seems that would be a good choice to keep the oil clean.

My 2012 5.0 mustang had an 8 quart sump and specced 10k mile changes. With 5w20 MC I changed the oil filter (also motorcraft) at 5k miles and top off what was lost. The oil would Def clear up.

So I think I was doing good. Maybe.

Any decent oil filter should be able to go for over 5k miles. NAPA Gold filters should easily be able to handle 5k miles. I have one on my car right now and I'm getting close to 7k miles on it.

If you're really concerned about the filter get a Fram Ultra filter and use the $2 rebate that's currently on their website. According to Fram, the Ultras are good for 15k miles. Even if you think that's too long, just drop it back to 10k-12k miles, and the filter should be able to handle it with ease.

Also, the way an oil looks doesn't correlate to the oil be used up. Some oil additives will darken and become opaque when exposed to heat, making the oil look more worn out even though testing will show there is still a lot of life left in the oil.

As for Quartz oil, it is very good oil. It can handle 5k miles with ease, much like any of the other synthetics you used. If you're going to stick to the 5k mile oil change interval, then switch to high quality conventional oil and save yourself some money. Pretty much any name brand conventional oil (Pennzoil, Mobil Super, Havoline, Kendall, Valvoline, Chevron, Super Tech, etc) should be able to handle 5k miles in your Corolla.

Why did you pick up the Quartz oil if you didn't know much about it, were you able to get it at a good price?

It was a good price for synthetic, also the mechanic recommended it. He has a good reputation locally as well with family members that use his services. I didn't know about the darkening of the oil part I do thank you for that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back