Engine Oil Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok this part was taken out of text under flushing oil

"Flushing oils
These are special compound oils that are very, very thin. They almost have the consistency of tap water when cold as well as hot. Typically they are 0W/20 oils. Don't ever drive with these oils in the engine - it won't last. Their purpose is for cleaning out all the gunk which builds up inside an engine. Note that Mobil1 0W40 is okay, because the '40' denotes that it's actually thick enough at temperature to work. 0W20 just doesn't get that viscous! To use them, drain your engine of all it's oil, but leave the old oil filter in place. Next fill it up with flushing oil and run it at a fast idle for about 20 minutes. Finally, drain all this off (and marvel at the crap that comes out with it), replace the oil filter, refill with a good synthetic oil and voila! Clean engine."

if only it was that easy.

I guess they sell special 0W-20 "flushing oils" in the UK?
dunno.gif

Yeah, all those Hondas and Fords are figments of the imagination. No way could a 20 weight oil last for more than 20 minutes of idle-only speed. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.
lol.gif

quote:

No way could a 20 weight oil last for more than 20 minutes of idle-only speed.

That explain the following quote. After 20 minutes its lubricating properties must break down.

"NEVER use ... 5W-20 oil because it is closer to a grinding compound than a lubricant." --Louis LaPointe

Gosh, I hope Ford & Honda never read his site. They'll have to shut down production, & issue an immediate engine recall for millions of cars & SUV's......and just think of all the owners manual amendments they will have to print.

i was thinking that it was a number of years onld and then i saw that it was updated just a few days ago and i couldnt believe it. stuff like that is how bad rumors get started.

What I can't believe this has gone without comment !!!

"Despite their name, most synthetic derived motor oils (ie Mobil 1, Castrol Formula RS etc ) are actually derived from mineral oils - they are mostly Polyalphaolifins and these come from the purest part of the mineral oil refraction process, the gas."

I always thought synthetic has nothing to do with mineral oils....!!!
dunno.gif

Don't over clean your engine!

"A question came up some time ago about using diesel-rated oils to flush out petrol engines. The idea was that because of the higher detergent levels in diesel engine oil, it might be a good cleaner / flusher for a non-diesel engine. Well most of the diesel oil specification oils can be used in old petrol engines for cleaning, but you want to use a low specification oil to ensure that you do not over clean your engine and lose compression for example."

my UOA's have turned out well on 5w20 oil, but is there something that wouldnt show up on the UOA's that could be that bad w/ usiong a 5w20 oil?????

I hope I don't overclean my engine, either, Titan!

Of course, those Honda and Ford drivers among us never have to worry, seeing as how they ALWAYS run flushing oil! NOW I know why redline kept that Focus so clean.

quote:

PAOs are specially designed chemicals that are uniquely made from alpha olefins. These stable molecules are produced by:

Steam cracking hydrocarbons to produce ultra high-purity ethylene
Ethylene oligomerization to develop 1-decene and 1-dodecene
Decene or dodecene oligomerization to form a mixture of dimers, trimers, tetramers and higher oligomers

It all has to come from SOMEWHERE.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back