Engine Oil Assistance for 2002 Jeep KJ 3.7L

I've spent way too long online trying to figure out which 5w-30 engine oil I should use for my 2002 Jeep KJ 3.7L V6 here in Italy. I need some help/perspective please.

So far I've found recommendations for Mobil 1 High Mileage (which I can't find for Europe), Mobil 1 ESP, Castrol Edge, Castrol Start and Stop, Castrol GTX. Then the Castrol ones have C3 series, LL, M, etc which I understand are different European standards...but I just don't understand which one I need to use. I get that these questions get asked all the time, but I've tried to look this stuff up and I still can't figure it out. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

That engine isnt picky in the US you just need an api rated oil. Pretty much any 5w30.

It would be easier to list what oils you are considering that are available locally at good price.

That engine isnt picky in the US you just need an api rated oil. Pretty much any 5w30.

It would be easier to list what oils you are considering that are available locally at good price.
That's the thing though, even if I say Castrol Edge 5w30, there's a "series" C1, C3, LL, and M to choose from. They're European designations I think but I can't figure out the real difference.

With a quick search and I may be wrong the M seems to carry bmw approval, c3 is slightly thicker and LL is long life.

While I think you could use any of those.. do any carry api ratings? API SL SM SN SP etc

Edit: looks like I would chose M or C3 by price the other 2(c1 LL) may be ok but dont seem to carry api licensing which is less stringent than the euro specs.

Last edited:
With a quick search and I may be wrong the M seems to carry bmw approval, c3 is slightly thicker and LL is long life.

While I think you could use any of those.. do any carry api ratings? API SL SM SN SP etc

Edit: looks like I would chose M or C3 by price the other 2(c1 LL) may be ok but dont seem to carry api licensing which is less stringent than the euro specs.
Yes on the Castrol Europe website it does list the difference now that I look at it closely...
https://www.castrol.com/it_it/italy...rol-edge-brand/castrol-edge.html#tab_5w-30-ll
I mean I can read the differences on there but I wouldn't know for sure which one is right...its pretty confusing. The C3 seems like the best choice I suppose...it's got the most standards? :confused:

Yes on the Castrol Europe website it does list the difference now that I look at it closely...
https://www.castrol.com/it_it/italy...rol-edge-brand/castrol-edge.html#tab_5w-30-ll
I mean I can read the differences on there but I wouldn't know for sure which one is right...its pretty confusing. The C3 seems like the best choice I suppose...it's got the most standards? :confused:
I would be buying M or C3 based on price both look to be excellent.
if one was 5-10$ cheaper than the other I would go with it.

Back