Engine Oil and Filter Selection Input

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everybody,

I've honestly never spent much time thinking about engine oil and filters. I've always just used Mobil 1 and not thought twice about it. A few months ago I bought a 2006 LX470 (Lexus version of the Land Cruiser) with the 2UZ-FE engine. I purchased with 96,500 miles and it now has 102,000. I changed the oil to Mobil 1 at 101,500. The oil change place was out of 5w30, so I had them use 0w30. I'm wondering if a) that's OK for the vehicle and b) is there a better oil and filter combo that I should be using.

I live in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. I don't drive the LX470 aggressively at all. That said, I work from home so while I use the truck for longer trips (just did 2k miles to NC and back and will head down to S. Texas next week), I'm often only driving the vehicle for 2-5 miles at a time in the burbs when I go run an errand or get some lunch etc.

I've been reading through some of the threads but honestly I can't follow half of it. My main goal is longevity of the engine. I plan to keep this vehicle and long time and I take it to some fairly remote areas. Dependability is crucial for me.

So what oil and filter should I be using? Do I need to swap out the 0w30 asap? Thanks.

OW 30 is OK and look at the Mobil 1 website and Mobil oil says 0w30 is fine to use.
Features & Potential Benefits
Specs/Approvals
Tech Details

Low viscosity, advanced full synthetic formula
Helps to improve fuel economy based on 0.2-2.3% potential fuel economy improvement obtained by switching from higher viscosity oils to a 0W-30 grade. Actual savings are dependent upon vehicle/engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions and your current engine oil viscosity.
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability
Helps reduce oil aging resulting in long lasting protection.
Outstanding low-temperature capabilities
Quick cold-weather starting and fast protection helps extend engine life.
Precisely balanced additive component system
Excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance for many driving styles and conditions, from mild to severe, where a 5W-30, 10W-30 or 0W-30 is recommended.
Nice Vehicle by the way! and the link
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-30_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.aspx

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Do not swap out the 0w30. Use it like u would 5w30.

+1 and
welcome2.gif

0W-30 oil is fine.

First number is how well it flows (how thick it is) when cold. A "0" oil flows better (thinner) than a "5 ", and "5" flows better than "10"

Second number is how well it flows when hot, a -30 oil flows better (thinner) than a -40...

Hence, the only difference between 0W-30 and 5W-30 is the 0W will be better when starting a cold vehicle...

Originally Posted By: texascrane
Hi everybody,

I'm often only driving the vehicle for 2-5 miles at a time in the burbs when I go run an errand or get some lunch etc.

I've been reading through some of the threads but honestly I can't follow half of it. My main goal is longevity of the engine. I plan to keep this vehicle and long time and I take it to some fairly remote areas. Dependability is crucial for me.

So what oil and filter should I be using? Do I need to swap out the 0w30 asap? Thanks.

That's because of all the repetition...ad nauseum...your "style" of driving is considered "severe" so just change the oil...any brand name SN 5w-30 oil...every 4-5k miles and get a good night's sleep....IN DALLAS TEXAS any brand name 5w-30 oil will do....the only other consideration is old seals that may benefit from HM oils (reg., blend or syn), but that's only if your oil level drops a lot in that 4-5k OCI...

There...done and dusted

Last edited:
Just go by your owners manual
If it says 0-30 then you are ok
I live in the DFW area so summer is the roughest time on cars
Dont worry about all the technical [censored] onhere,it can get out of hand with some of the armchair chemists here
If you keep looking around you can find what you need to know

Mobil I 5w-30 is a slightly better oil with more anti wear additives but 0w-30 is also a good choice. I have used 0w-30 in my 04 Camry V6 since it became available about six or seven years ago. I like it because we sometimes have below 0 temps and 0w oil will flow slightly better when it's that cold. Regards

Mobil I 5w-30 is a slightly better oil with more anti wear additives but 0w-30 is also a good choice. I have used 0w-30 in my 04 Camry V6 since it became available about six or seven years ago. I like it because we sometimes have below 0 temps and 0w oil will flow slightly better when it's that cold. Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back