Engine is new, consuming oil, which oil is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new 2014 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe with a manual transmission and the engine is going through a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. The factory oil is a synthetic blend AC Delco brand and at 1,754 miles I switched to Mobil 1 5W30 with an Amsoil EA oil filter. This engine has been consuming oil since day one on the factory oil. I just went 500 miles since I changed the oil and it was down a half quart of oil. I topped it off with Mobil 1 and frequently check the oil level. I am at about 2,300 miles now.

What synthetic oil if any would eliminate the consumption? I was thinking of going with the Amsoil signature series 0W30, but didn't know if that would cure the oil consumption issue. The oil may be slipping past the piston rings until the rings seat which on the LSA 6.2L V8 may be at about 5,000 miles.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Needs to be ran hard! Oil choice probably won't help much. You could always try Pennzoil Ultra though.

Trust me, she is well broken in by now. Since day one (May 23, 2014) with 5 miles on the clock right off the showroom floor, it was pedal to the metal. The engine seems to feel a lot looser now at 2,300 miles over when it did at 5 miles. The way I am driving it combined with the fact that it's a manual transmission that runs at higher RPMs may be the main problem.

Research I have done has shown that Mobil 1 is a better oil over the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Have you seen the test results?

http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Looks like the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum was just added on August 17, 2014 and it didn't fair too well against Mobil 1 or Amsoil or even the old Pennzoil Ultra formula SM rating from last year or the year before.

Amsoil seems to be the best overall. I just don't want to go to expensive Amsoil if this engine keeps going through oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Oh geez, not that 540ratblog junk again...

Sorry, am I missing something? What's wrong with the report?

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
... The oil may be slipping past the piston rings until the rings seat which on the LSA 6.2L V8 may be at about 5,000 miles.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

If it were me I'd keep topping off until the 5 or 6k mark, and see if consumption declines or goes away entirely. Then it will be time to make a decision if the leak continues....

You're in LA, I think PUP 10w30 would be good to try. (Never gets cold enough there to require a 5w30.)
But I don't really think the oil selection is going to help consumption much if the engine is using a quart per 1000 miles.

Have you reported the high oil consumption to your dealer?

Some engines just consume oil. I would let the dealer know so it's on-record, and document/monitor for the next few months.

Keep driving, hopefully sometime between now and the 10K mile mark the consumption will improve. You might just have an engine that uses more oil than you'd like, it happens.

Bringing it back to the dealer will probably get you, the "oh that's considered normal" blanket statement.

You're in LA, I think PUP 10w30 would be good to try. (Never gets cold enough there to require a 5w30.)
But I don't really think the oil selection is going to help consumption much if the engine is using a quart per 1000 miles.

Have you reported the high oil consumption to your dealer?

GM states in the owner's manual to never use a thicker oil over 5W30. They recommend 5W30 or even 0W30 in colder climates. I was going to go to Amsoil Signature Series 0W30 next, but ONLY if the consumption stops.

I have reported it to my dealer. At 985 miles they added a full quart of oil, but when I changed the oil at 1,754 miles it was down almost a full quart again. I just don't want to have to keep running back to the dealer every second!

Yes, the subject of the 540ratblog comes up on BITOG about twice a year, and there is always a lively debate. There is a strong school of opinion over here that 540ratblog is using flawed test methods.

And besides, right now, you're trying to figure out why your engine is consuming excess oil, not which oil is going to give you the lowest wear. Those are two different problems.

That is acceptable according to GM but it shouldn't be happening.

Does the owner's manual allow for you to use a 5w-40?
If so I would go with that. If not use only the weights that the warranty specifies for your car.

I think you are close enough to the max consumption limit that you could ask your dealer to run a consumption test.

Yes, the subject of the 540ratblog comes up on BITOG about twice a year, and there is always a lively debate.

Though it's always introduced as though Moses is bringing the Ten Commandments down from the mountain...

Whoa!

First, anyone who runs a new car "flat out" when brand new is a fool. Although modern engines don't need the gentle break in of cars past, they still require time for everything to become properly seated. Flooring a new car a lot really does add stress to the engine, which can interfere with that process.

Increased oil consumption during the break in period is normal, but what you're describing isn't. So, you're either not checking the oil on a level surface after it drains completely into the pan...like first thing in the AM, or you've got something more serious going on...something totally independent of oil choice, it won't fix whatever's causing your problem.

Call the dealer up and let them take a look. You've either got a leak (internal or external) or your antics have blown a ring.

Yes, the subject of the 540ratblog comes up on BITOG about twice a year, and there is always a lively debate. There is a strong school of opinion over here that 540ratblog is using flawed test methods.

And besides, right now, you're trying to figure out why your engine is consuming excess oil, not which oil is going to give you the lowest wear. Those are two different problems.

You're right. Just wanted to show that the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum according to the testing didn't do all that great considering what they are advertising.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
That is acceptable according to GM but it shouldn't be happening.

Does the owner's manual allow for you to use a 5w-40?
If so I would go with that. If not use only the weights that the warranty specifies for your car.

I think you are close enough to the max consumption limit that you could ask your dealer to run a consumption test.

Owner's manual is strict against using any oil thicker than 5W30. GM had a whole slew of engine failures back in the day when they ran thicker oil grades. They now warn against anything thicker than 5W30.

I am at the limit and they won't conduct an oil consumption test unless it exceeds the 1 quart per thousand miles.

antiqueshell said:
I am at the limit and they won't conduct an oil consumption test unless it exceeds the 1 quart per thousand miles.

Have you called GM corporate and let them know that considering the car is almost brand new that you find it unacceptable you are already at that limit. Perhaps they will allow a test in this case. You should ask corporate if you already haven't. I would at least want them to run a compression test to check for warning signs.

It looks like you're at the threshold for oil consumption. The dealer should be stepping up here in the interest of good customer service.

If they're unwilling to do so, call GM Corporate and start a complaint with them.

Originally Posted By: Noey
Whoa!

First, anyone who runs a new car "flat out" when brand new is a fool. Although modern engines don't need the gentle break in of cars past, they still require time for everything to become properly seated. Flooring a new car a lot really does add stress to the engine, which can interfere with that process.

Increased oil consumption during the break in period is normal, but what you're describing isn't. So, you're either not checking the oil on a level surface after it drains completely into the pan...like first thing in the AM, or you've got something more serious going on...something totally independent of oil choice, it won't fix whatever's causing your problem.

Call the dealer up and let them take a look. You've either got a leak (internal or external) or your antics have blown a ring.

Ok, first off GM runs each V8 LSx engine at WOT for 30 seconds to test it on an engine stand before it even makes it into any car. GM has released this information publicly. I have NEVER broken in any GM V8 LSx engine in all my years and have never had any issues. Pedal to the metal from the showroom floor and drain the factory oil at around 1,000 to 2,000 miles and no problems. I am currently on my 33rd new GM vehicle that came equipped with an LSx V8 engine.

I check the oil first thing cold in the AM on a flat level surface in my garage. The dealer verified the car was low a quart when I took it in at 985 miles. They are saying it is normal for an engine to go through 1 quart per 1,000 miles. Unless it starts going through more oil, they won't do anything.

I just didn't know if there was a specific type of oil that I can run that would resist the consumption.

GM Corporate will tell me to see the dealer who has a TSB for oil consumption and the dealer will just give you a copy and say it's normal. GM has been saying for years that 1 quart of oil in 1,000 miles is normal. There's nothing they can do. Even if they replace the engine, it will happen again. It's the manual transmission and the way I drive it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back