Engine hour metering

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the technology out there, car makers should put an engine hour metering system on its cars. Maybe they can also show how long an engine has been in a certain RPM range as well.

Some of that info is already collected and used for oil change interval calculations on many cars. Unfortunately, the raw data isn't presented to the driver in most cases, unless you hack into the car's computer.
smile.gif

My car has an hour meter in the trip comp. You can reset it everytime you fill up or change oil. With 75%hwy driving I am getting about 15 hrs every 400 miles.

Yes and they could make the display provide the engine code so you do have to buy or borrow a code reader.

Isn't that kinda like what the OLM is already doing? I get about 3400 miles every 100 engine hours and have gone up to 150 hours before changing my oil. I know this is not an OLM I just watch the miles vs the hours on the oil since changing and use my best guess when its due. The computer has all kinds of goodie info in it I would like to be able to see!

My 2004 Silverado has an hour meter built into the driver information display. Just push the button to switch displays and you will see total number of operating hours.

Also, if your OBC records average speed, you can easily figure out the hours by taking the miles driven since last oil change and dividing it by the average speed (assuming you reset it at the time of last oil change).

So, if I drove 10,000 miles and my average speed was 40 mph during that time, it means I've ran the engine for 250 hours. It may not be exact, but it should be close enough.

I've heard of "DIY" methods being done.....don't see WHY....? lol. I can't see hours/minutes being that big of a deal, unless you do a serious amount of "idling" (drive thrus, drive in theaters? lol).

When my car is on, it's driving
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back