Engine Flush

I would like to know are there any safe chemicals or methods to clean sludge out of a engine? Thanks.

Not much sludge, Just wanted to find a chemical that’s safe before changing the oil.

My gentle flush method is a few short OCI's with M1 full synthetic. In my experience, it does clean well. You don't want to go dislodging chunks of stuff too fast. If you want more opinions, there's about a gazillion posts on the subject, none of which will give you a concrete answer. 😁

Where are you seeing it? Under the valve cover or in the pan?
I have a late model Camry with almost 280,000 miles. I wanted to try a flush before changing the oil, I replaced the valve cover gasket a year ago and it look good.

Reactions: JC1
I have a late model Camry with almost 280,000 miles. I wanted to try a flush before changing the oil, I replaced the valve cover gasket a year ago and it look good.
Did you take any pics at the time? I would just use a quality synthetic like Mobil 1 and If you can cut open the oil filter after each change and see what it looks like inside the filter.

Is that the 4 cyl or V6 engine?

Did you take any pics at the time? I would just use a quality synthetic like Mobil 1 and If you can cut open the oil filter after each change and see what it looks like inside the filter.

Is that the 4 cyl or V6 engine?
The Camry has a 1mzfe V6 engine.

Reactions: JC1
The only product we have ever seen work on here is the one from HPL. The rest were either vague references or something that could be explained by lighting and angle.

Of course now you don't seem to indicate there really is any sludge at all so why a flush to remove it is somewhat odd.

The only product we have ever seen work on here is the one from HPL. The rest were either vague references or something that could be explained by lighting and angle.

Of course now you don't seem to indicate there really is any sludge at all so why a flush to remove it is somewhat odd.
I never used flush chemicals and thought about flushing before upgrading to a different oil.

I never used flush chemicals and thought about flushing before upgrading to a different oil.
What oil are you using now? What OCIs are you using and under what circumstances is the oil being used? What will you "upgrade" to? Why do you want to change your oil brand? Is it really an upgrade or just a different oil, perhaps a horizontal move?

Back