Engine flush and total cleaning tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up an 03 Expedition with 73000 Kms / 45000 miles and would love any info on cleaning the motor inside and out. And touching up a few paint chips on the rear bumper. What products make a motor look new?

Try simple green cut with water on a cold engine for outside detailing. Look into ARX for inside engine cleaning. Search ARX; tons of info.

For my car I've found that STONERS plastic trim shine works the best to shine up plastic parts. Vinylex works the best to shine up rubber parts.

When acquiring a used car, it is sometimes impossible to know the previous owner's maintenance routine. ARX isn't just for severely gunked up engines. It takes out all the little crud that builds up during neglected/normal usage. This guy wants to know how to flush out his engine. I can't think of a better/safer/more effective way to flush an engine than one ARX cycle. It will cost maybe 40 bucks with filters and oil and will not involve any harsh solvents.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Gunk Engine Brite for the outside. I've used the citrus formula and the "gel" stuff. Quality stuff. However, Simple Green does the job just as well and can be cut way down with water to save you $$. I too like having a clean engine so I can spot any vac or oil leaks.

Thanks guys I'll be flushing the engine next weekend and giving the unit the once over. I'm going to be using Mobil 1 5W30 and a Baldwinn filter after everything is cleaned. I think I'll even try one of the new Amsoil blue cleanable synthetyic/cellulose paper air filters.

Some good fuel system cleaner.....like FP60 might be a good idea.

I would also change the transmission fluid.

When the weather warms up....bleeding the brakes at each wheel would be another good thing...the fluid gets gunky at each wheel over time...and is a good thing to check all the brakes, linings, drums / rotors.....looking for leaks, etc.

Also, changing the coolant might be a good thing.

XD3 Esso 0-30 or 0-40 syn, this HDEO is a great engine cleaner. $4.00 per litre there about at Esso bulk. $5.50 litre at Walmart for 0-40, bulk station best bet. It will clean an engine in two to three OCIs. Oil will come out quite dark first few OCIs, then use regular and keep engine clean.

Father's Sentra was bought with 150K kms, after 3 OCI's with XD3 syn oil his engine cleaned up, oil started to come out clean on subsequent OCIs and gained 2 mpg, smoothed out and more power. TBN of 12.2 on XD3, will clean it up inside.

My 05 X-Trail QR25DE gas engine will always be perfectly clean, used XD3 from start new, dirt blonde on OCI. My 92 Dodge Cummins diesel which I bought with 150K took about 3 OCIs to clean it up too, now oil is dirt blonde on each OCI with constant XD3 use.

Nice gentle natural clean up in my families experience using it on gas and diesels, it is a CI-4/SL oil.

Cyprs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back