Engine failures?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometime ago, someone posted about an engine failure on a Ford engine pulling a trailer. They went 7200 miles on Pennzoil 5w20 but the UOA showed the oil was fine. Supposedly the bearings went which is a common problem on some of the Ford truck engines. They ended up eating 50% of the replacement engine costs.

Originally Posted By: GMFan
Sometime ago, someone posted about an engine failure on a Ford engine pulling a trailer. They went 7200 miles on Pennzoil 5w20 but the UOA showed the oil was fine. Supposedly the bearings went which is a common problem on some of the Ford truck engines. They ended up eating 50% of the replacement engine costs.

This the first time I have heard of engine bearing failure being a common thing on Ford truck engines. Can you find some info on that.

Supposedly the bearings went which is a common problem on some of the Ford truck engines. They ended up eating 50% of the replacement engine costs.

I would like to see a cite on this also. Sounds like internet urban legend to me.

In my pre-BITOG days I used Castrol Syntec 5W-50 in my Ford Contour 2.0L Zetec 4 cylinder. It is spec'd for 5W-30 oil. I was using Mobil 1 5W-30 but I'm older and grew up on "thickerer is betterer". So I ran the 5W-50 in it for two years. It did no harm to the engine. However, my mpg suffered and the engine felt really sluggish compared to when I used 5W-30. The car was garaged in the winter so it never had to do cold starts outdoors in the winter with the thicker oil.

I switched back to Mobil 1 5W-30 then to Schaeffer's Blend 5W-30. The car is much happier. It rev's much more freely and my mpg increased a lot even despite the introduction of ethanol in our gas since using the 5W-50.

While using a thicker oil will most likely not kill your engine it may be of no benefit either.

Whimsey

That is not a common problem.

I think you are thinking of the motorhome engine failure (6.8L V10) that was posted on here a while back.

To the OP:

I'm currently running M1 TDT 5w40 in my Ford 5.4L, spec'd for 5w20.

It was around 12 years ago, I was driving my 1979 Trans-am in a snow storm. Wheels were spinning, I wasnt going anywhere fast, and that car had no buisness on the road. I blew a rod in the engine, I was running 10w40 when I am pretty sure that engine called for 10w30. I always assumed that the cold temps cold, the high miles on the engine, and a thicker oil then what it called for contributed to the engine failure....I was running dino Mobil. This was 12 years ago, and I was a dumb teenager,a Honda dealer game me 900.00 for it towards a new Honda Del Sol...

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
It was around 12 years ago, I was driving my 1979 Trans-am in a snow storm. Wheels were spinning, I wasnt going anywhere fast, and that car had no buisness on the road. I blew a rod in the engine, I was running 10w40 when I am pretty sure that engine called for 10w30. I always assumed that the cold temps cold, the high miles on the engine, and a thicker oil then what it called for contributed to the engine failure....I was running dino Mobil. This was 12 years ago, and I was a dumb teenager,a Honda dealer game me 900.00 for it towards a new Honda Del Sol...

Sure it didn't overrev?

A trusted mechanic I know told me I busted a rod.

That's not what I'm disputing. Throwing a rod is *usually* from overreving it.

camaro/trans am might have no business in the snow... but I had an SS, and with blizzak snow tires, i could make it through nearly anything with confidence. Did much better than a FWD car with all seasons.

The only common engine failures I've seen are BMW engines sludged to death. As the biggest BMW, Porsche, Mercedes shop in town told me a week ago "every 2nd or 3rd BMW in shows sludge to some degree". Not because the oil was to thick though.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Gotcha, Yes there was an excessive amount of overreving. I was a dumb teenager and had the T/A out in blizzard like conditions. I wasnt getting any traction needless to say. So between the freezing temps,overreving, thicker oil then what was called for, older engine = engine failure

Not changing the oil will do cause engine failure.My father once bought a 2004 Ddoge Durange with the 4.7 and the engine failed because the oil was not changed.Slick 50 will cause engine failures too.

Gotcha, Yes there was an excessive amount of overreving. I was a dumb teenager and had the T/A out in blizzard like conditions. I wasnt getting any traction needless to say. So between the freezing temps,overreving, thicker oil then what was called for, older engine = engine failure

LOL. I've been there before as a teenager. Luckily on the parents' car when I was 16, the valvesprings were weak enough that valvefloat became the "rev limiter".

Slick 50 doesn't cause engine failure's. Doesn't do it any good, necessrily, but won't cause it to fail....

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Oh, no.
Parts like cam bearings that are far away on the food chain can be oil starved with a thick oil in cold temps.
No doubt.

Not really. How many cam bearing failures have you ever seen? Some engines like my Buick are fed to the lifters/cam before going to the mains as backwards as that sounds.

mechtech2 said:
Not really. How many cam bearing failures have you ever seen?

Few for sure. The only engines that I know of that eat cam bearing are the old 266,304,345 and 392 IHC's. The Scout boards are loaded with worn out cam bearing threads.

The 392 I rebuilt for my pickup had cam bearings that were worn into the copper.

As for engine failures.
I had a crankshaft break in a 2.6L Mitsubishi around 1988 with 44K on it..

Last edited:
I drove our 2.6L Mitsubishi in our Dodge Caravan over 400K KM (240K Miles) without issue. Only thing I had was a cracked head in that time.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
mechtech2 said:
Not really. How many cam bearing failures have you ever seen?

Few for sure. The only engines that I know of that eat cam bearing are the old 266,304,345 and 392 IHC's. The Scout boards are loaded with worn out cam bearing threads.

The 392 I rebuilt for my pickup had cam bearings that were worn into the copper.

As for engine failures.
I had a crankshaft break in a 2.6L Mitsubishi around 1988 with 44K on it..

I remember reading that the first generation 3000GT VR4`s had issues with crankshafts breaking. What happens when you break one of those? Sounds like it`d be impossible to do. How exactly does it happen????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back