Engine Fails after Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owner should have checked the oil level after the service was done. He might have saved his engine.

One more reason not to use a quick lube.

The owner is suffering and the fault appears to be with either Mitsubishi or the oil change shop. I would rent a car and collect the rental money back through litigation rather than depend on friends or relatives for transportation. In the end, either Mitsubishi or the oil change shop will be held liable.

What do you expect from Mitsubishi ? If they are as good as Toyota or Honda in term of vehicle quality and/or service they would be in much better position in North America than now.

If Mitsubishi has any decency in term of service they should negotiate with oil change shop to split the cost of replacing the engine. The owner didn't do anything wrong and now he is suffering from error of manufacture or oil change shop.

The guy at the Valvoline oil place shows me the dip stick of the work van. I see it right where it should be. I drive off leaving a trail of oil because the filter isn't on right. I would all over the shop, esp if it was a chain.

Originally Posted By: andyd
The guy at the Valvoline oil place shows me the dip stick of the work van. I see it right where it should be. I drive off leaving a trail of oil because the filter isn't on right. I would all over the shop, esp if it was a chain.

a great practice is showing the dipstick after final checks. The lube shop I used to work at did that. a little plastic tray with a little sample to show the customer each lube is cool too. I know not everything can be told with oil color but when a diff gets water in it that's an easy color change to show a customer. The shop should be 100% accountable. That shop is actually a 4 hour drive from me.

Last edited:
This is 100% the oil change places fault. Regardless of the bad design, it's their responsibility to become familiar with the models they service. This is their fault, they alone caused the problem which did not exist before their service. This just needs to go to court. This guy is being bullied. Any judge will side with the owner of the car. The quick lube screwed up- period.

The Quick Lube place should have insurance for this type of situation. Unless they were dropped by the carrier for other mishaps or didn't pay their premiums. More to the story I'm sure but something stinks.

I had a 91 Mitsubishi and even back then different filter makers would recommend either the short fat PH3950 filter or the longer skinnier PH7317. It came from the factory with a filter that cross referenced to a PH7317. But even the dealer told me to use the filter that cross referenced to a PH3950.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The Quick Lube place should have insurance for this type of situation. Unless they were dropped by the carrier for other mishaps or didn't pay their premiums. More to the story I'm sure but something stinks.

This is probably the best answer. They could attempt to sue Mitsu over it, but after shelling out big bucks their internal database would certainly list the proper filter, and it wouldn't happen again.

Sometimes in doing business it's best to just pay out for a mistake, even if it's not completely your fault. I'm not sure how this is going to look for them, going forward from here.

All mitsubishi PCMO engines currently use the MZ690072 filter (MZ690070 in europe, different supplier), except for the L200 and Pajero

I can't see how this is NOT the fault of the one who changed the oil and filter. I would refuse a warranty claim in this instance as well.

That's a cheap shot. Honda and Toyota have nothing on Mitsubishi as far as engine quality. So far they have been more reliable in my experience. They don't have Oil disappearing even after 10k miles like the others....

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
What do you expect from Mitsubishi ? If they are as good as Toyota or Honda in term of vehicle quality and/or service they would be in much better position in North America than now.

If Mitsubishi has any decency in term of service they should negotiate with oil change shop to split the cost of replacing the engine. The owner didn't do anything wrong and now he is suffering from error of manufacture or oil change shop.

Final check should include: running the engine for a short period (you can check the ATF level at this time, assuming it has a dip stick), shutting the engine off, letting the new oil settle, check the oil level and looking under the car for leaks or puddles.

That's how we did it 40 years ago and that's how I do it to this day.

How the manufacturer of the vehicle could be responsible for the incorrect filter being installed is beyond me. Mr. Filter (If that really is his name) is definitely at fault.

The oil change place is ducking, when they should be submitting it to their insurance.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Better quality? They were pretty successful with the Zero fighter in WWII, shot down a lot of American planes.

If the quicky oil change place and the dealer are doing this to the vehicle owner they should be more traditional about it and send flowers along with a dinner invitation and a motel reservation.

Oil changes often get no respect and yet this can and does happen.

When I shop for a vehicle, usually a car or a wagon, I avoid these manufactures: Mitsubishi, Suzuki, Fiat, Chrysler ...

None of these have quality products as of the top of the class, if I am looking for a less than $20k compact sedan then Honda, Mazda ... are the one. If I am looking for a compact sedan at $35-40k then BMW, Audi or MB .

If Mitsubishi, Suzuki ... are so good then why they are either gone or almost gone from most states in USA ?

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
That's a cheap shot. Honda and Toyota have nothing on Mitsubishi as far as engine quality. So far they have been more reliable in my experience. They don't have Oil disappearing even after 10k miles like the others....

I never saw any vehicle reliability study since 1980-1990 that showed Mitsubishi engine or any other car part was more reliable than Honda and/or Toyota. If there was one year that Mitsubishi rated higher than either Honda or Toyota, please post.

Your personal experience with Mitsubishi engine is as rare as chicken tooth. If your experience is typical then why Mitsubishi motor company is withdrawing from US ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back