Engine Bay/Underbody Clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple Green HD. Only place I've seen it is Home Depot. It's actually purple instead of green (like the common Simple Green formula).

If you need to cut through some hella fierce grease
And don't mind some oxidation on aluminum surfaces

The purple bottle of Super Clean
superclean_cleaner_degreaser_group.png

I used that exact bottle of super clean on my car rims and left a white smeary Streak and I'm trying to get rid of. I use the totally awesome wheel and tire cleaner and it seems to help

Iv used Purple Power with good success. It seems pretty strong and would simple lightly spray engine bay with water (making sure to avoid starter, computers, and distributer). Then lightly sprayer down.

Grab a old paint brush and lightly go back and forth over your engine. Rinse off and repeat.

I wouldn't let it sit to long and I don't water it down since its wet and I use it lightly.

Its worked well to clean virtually my whole engine bay...

Only thing it doesn't want to clean it my overflow tank so I'm thinking its just old and might take it off to clean it one day.

If you like you can use your preferred car interior protector. Lightly spray it down after its dryer. Wipe it down.

Every single rubber hose and my air intake look like they where all replaced last month
smile.gif

Depends how dirty we're talking, brake cleaner and a jet wash usually do the trick, more stubborn stuff gets soaked and agitated before the jet wash comes out

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Simple Green HD. Only place I've seen it is Home Depot. It's actually purple instead of green (like the common Simple Green formula).

+1 That's what I use and it's harmless to aluminum parts.

Try buying one of those extendable flower watering wands.

I used to use one to wash under the Fit, just get down on a knee and point it upwards under the car.

They extend out like 3 feet so you do all around the car and it cleans road salt off nice.

There's some thought that simple green (I can't remember if its regular or heavy duty) pits aluminum. I've never seen it myself, but others have. Depends on the alloy, I guess.

I don't want that toxic crud on my driveway anyway. This is an area where I would go to the coin op and get the engine cleaner stuff on there (If they have it in your area). I think its basically dumb to "detail" the engine bay to the level of the rest of the car. I just want it clean with maybe a coating of protectant on the hoses.

I'm a big fan of Hondabrite for spraying down the engine compartment. It has no solvents and uses surfactants that are aluminum, rubber and plastic safe. Spray it on and hose it off. I bought a gallon of s100 which is the equivalent.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Westleys bleach white tire cleaner.

You can't buy the REAL Westleys anymore - they got bought out (I forget by who - just google it).

From what I've heard, the new stuff sucks - everyone thinks so. They've changed the formula and it's nowhere near as good as it used to be. Another formerly great product down the drain.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Ed_Flecko
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Westleys bleach white tire cleaner.

You can't buy the REAL Westleys anymore - they got bought out (I forget by who - just google it).

From what I've heard, the new stuff sucks - everyone thinks so. They've changed the formula and it's nowhere near as good as it used to be. Another formerly great product down the drain.

Ed

I've got a bottle of it on my shelf. I've had it a while so I'm not sure if it's pre or post buy out but it worked great on some whitewalls I had.

Westley's is now Black Magic and they make a bleche black as well.

You can get the gallon of concentrate at parts houses. Its is weaker as yall say, that stuff used to be hard to breathe in when the wind was right and you got a big whiff whilst spraying it. It is missing an ingredient I posted in a different thread.

I have a quart of WD40, quart of kerosene and a quart of tire dressing. I think these should cover all the needs of underbody cleaning and preserving.

I use Purple Power mixed with 2-3 parts water in one of those pump-up sprayers. It's terrific for degreasing engines and scrubbing dirty wheels and tires, and it's very cheap if you buy the 2.5-gal size. It's gentle enough to use on automotive paint for removing tar and stubborn stuff from lower body panels, although it will strip the wax too. I use it for other stuff around the house too, like the garage floor and garbage cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back