Energy self sufficiency sounds very good now that we know who we're buying oil from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J

Does it concern anyone else that we depend on
a steady supply of oil from Arabs to keep our
economy in good shape? Given that the people who
sell us the oil think it's a good idea to
be-head other human beings, I think more drilling
in Alaska and more Nuclear power in remote places
like Nevada sound much better after we found
out the true nature of our business partners.

Oh by the way, the Arabs may discover that
South Korea has had an A-bomb all along when
the Koreans "test" their weapon in Iraq.

Do you know how some cultures have short, compact
and efficient methods of expressing things which
they say often? Well, Koreans have such a pithy
expression for "I don't care if I live or die
as long as I manage to kill you first." I'm not
sure the Arabs picked the right people to go after
when they started beheading Americans and the
one Korean.

itschy.gif

cheers.gif

jae

I have know where the oil comes from. Our biggest problem is from our own government. I agree on the Koreans . I would not want to mess with them.

I thought most of our oil came from South America. Venuzuala to be exact.

Let's examine Alaskan oil. How much does it cost us to have American's drill that oil? Add to that the cost due to the complexity of getting the low temp oil out of the ground and transporting it to the only port in Alaska that will load the tankers.
Now competing oil reserves from South America and the middle east depend on the low wages paid to their oil workers. Add to the fact that the oil is located closer to the surface, and at a warmer temperature. (easier to pump). And you will see how they can charge less per barrel of crude.
American oil companies routinely sell American oil reserves to those countries that are willing to pay more per barrel than American's do.

quote:

Originally posted by PSU_Engineer:
Let's examine Alaskan oil. How much does it cost us to have American's drill that oil? Add to that the cost due to the complexity of getting the low temp oil out of the ground and transporting it to the only port in Alaska that will load the tankers.

I agree that Alaskan oil is not part of the solution-for the reasons you mentioned and also bc there really is not very much of it. Even though I am very conservative-I have to laugh at Rush and Hannity and others when they extoll the virtues of their gas guzzling SUV's and always point to the "Environmental Tree Hugging Wackos" as preventing our drilling in Alaska-which would surely solve our energy needs
rolleyes.gif

offtopic.gif

Couldn't help noticing your handle. I graduated there in '69 as an ME- what about you??

quote:

Originally posted by PSU_Engineer:
I thought most of our oil came from South America. Venuzuala to be exact.

Now competing oil reserves from South America and the middle east depend on the low wages paid to their oil workers. Add to the fact that the oil is located closer to the surface, and at a warmer temperature. (easier to pump). And you will see how they can charge less per barrel of crude.
American oil companies routinely sell American oil reserves to those countries that are willing to pay more per barrel than American's do.

The issue of oil supply is very complex and not all of the price hikes are related to the cost of the oil. The US has been shutting down refineries and reducing capacity to the point where we have no spare capacity. Why are they doing this? Ask your congress critter.

Look up "peak oil" in google to get a better feel for global supply and demand.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

I agree that Alaskan oil is not part of the solution-for the reasons you mentioned and also bc there really is not very much of it. Even though I am very conservative-I have to laugh at Rush and Hannity and others when they extoll the virtues of their gas guzzling SUV's and always point to the "Environmental Tree Hugging Wackos" as preventing our drilling in Alaska-which would surely solve our energy needs
rolleyes.gif

Actually, I heard somewhere (I can't find the quote) that there are more reserves in Alaska, and the sub-arctic region (also including Siberia in the former Soviet Union)than all of the Middle East.

offtopic.gif

Couldn't help noticing your handle. I graduated there in '69 as an ME- what about you??
[/QUOTE]
Graduated in Dec 2002 MET from the Harrisburg campus. I couldn't help but notice where you are from. I'm moving to Elizabethtown (or near there depending on where I find an apartment) in a few weeks.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
rolleyes.gif

I would rather pay more for Gasoline than put
any more money in the hands of terrorism sponsors.
When we buy oil from Venezuela other countries
do not buy from Venezuela. They go to Saudi
Arabia instead. So, indirectly we're putting
money into the hands of the Arabs even though
we don't directly buy from Saudi Arabia.

I knew there would be repercussions, but the
continual beheadings are not human. I'd rather
not put money into the hands of these beasts.

mad.gif

cheers.gif

Jae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back