Ended up buying a 2003 Accord EX as commuter car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda clutches always feel like they release too low to me, I find them weird, particularly if I've been driving something European.

They always work fine though, give yourself some time to get used to it.

Um, no, Vikas. That won't wear the clutch at all if it's still holding properly. It'll wear the brakes a little and burn some fuel. Burning fuel and wearing brakes is normal so why worry?

I like LT4's test better lol

I haven't felt any slippage..it just seems low to the floor when it engages

I'll have to pay a bit more attention on where I think it is actually happening

Goose

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
What the clutch video on YouTube from:

Eric the Car Guy (ex Acura dealership mechanic)

Okay will look it up, thanks

Goose

If the engine did not stall, then you just burned up that clutch even if it was working ok before :-( You are doing a destructive test to see if you can force the clutch to slip. If the clutch is on borderline, you just made it tip over.

Back to OP; if it is grabbing low to the floor, then logically you could have problems in shifting (if it is not disengaging fully when you push it all in). If you have no problems shifting, you probably don't need to do a thing to it. If you do find it difficult to put in the 1st or reverse or occasionally balks, it needs to be adjusted.

I liked the car until I saw the radio. I have a car with the "custom fit radio", that makes putting something real in there a pain. Choice was remove the NAV and install a radio on the top of the dash, or spend $90 on the Digital Media Changer with very limited functionality that connects through the CD changer input. Much more painful than changing the 1 DIN radio of the last car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shaman
I liked the car until I saw the radio. I have a car with the "custom fit radio", that makes putting something real in there a pain. Choice was remove the NAV and install a radio on the top of the dash, or spend $90 on the Digital Media Changer with very limited functionality that connects through the CD changer input. Much more painful than changing the 1 DIN radio of the last car.

The CD player gagged out a year or so on the previous owner. He installed a Sony BlueTooth enabled receiver in the space where the storage bin was. Works fine and love the BT streaming from my iPhone. So the radio is just dressing now lol. But yes I understand what you are saying...It is tied into the climate system so sort of a pita to replace

Goose

I have the '04 version of this car, same color, MT, but without the leather, purchased new. Still love it after 8 years. Just basic maintenance. Once used pennzoil syncromesh in the MT, but am back to Honda OEM for warm fuzzies. The new version of the fluid is very good. Nice purchase and excellent price.

I get cold weather "clacking" from the engine for a good 10-12 minutes, which, though annoying, does not seem to portend anything disasterous happening. Been doing this for 60,000+ miles. Some think it is piston slap. Others, the injectors. Seems too deep a sound for valves.

I'll be coming up on the 120,000 mile service in a few months. Need to flush the coolant and adjust the valves. I'll most likely do this myself.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
I get cold weather "clacking" from the engine for a good 10-12 minutes, which, though annoying, does not seem to portend anything disasterous happening. Been doing this for 60,000+ miles. Some think it is piston slap. Others, the injectors. Seems too deep a sound for valves.

I believe it to be piston slap. Oil choice has a dramatic effect on this sound in my engine. PP 0W-20 has been the loudest, and M1 0W-20 has been the quietest. I will try PYB 5W-20 next because I got some for cheap, but if it's loud like the PP is, I will be going back to the M1.

I recently had to buy a "new" used car and it HAD to be a stick....and saw no Accords...a few Civics but no Accords...you got a real good deal...espec. since it looks like it was a driven "to church on Sundays" special...good for you...

I got a Camry version of your Honda and feel lucky...unfortunately, or fortunately, Owner1 was an older guy who rode the clutch and it seems like your owner1 did likewise...Kitacam's clutch was replaced @ 98k before the sale by the dealer (along with the master and slave cylinders...and something called an accumulator) so when you do check the clutch make sure you check the m/s cylinders' operation as well...

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back