Ended up buying a 2003 Accord EX as commuter car

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've posted a few times, I've been in the market for a commuter car given my 100 mile a day r/t commute. Nothing wrong with the Silverado and to be honest I was getting close to 20 mpg at about 65-70...but still..not the ideal vehicle to commute in.

Anyways I was getting a little discouraged as just about everything I looked at on CL was either a pos that someone was trying to unload or they were not being very truthful about it's history or condition. I saw a 03 Accord and sent the seller an email asking about it. He said someone had put money down but would let me know if something happened.

Well Thursday night I got an email saying the woman was having issues with coming up with the rest of the money and if I wanted to take a look I could if still interested. I went Friday morning and checked it out.

It was exactly what I was looking for, a fairly low mileage Honda (111k) with a decent body (no rust except for some chips on the hood)and docs on the work that had been done. The seller was the second owner (this car had an extremely detailed CarFax report that looks like the first owner had it serviced every 3 to 4K miles) and he had a binder full of all the work he had done in the last 2 years. New brakes all around, new serpentine belt, heat shields around exhaust, coolant change and flush, power steering flush, new battery, brake fluid flush, fuel system service (BG?), fuel filter and the A/C condenser and compressor replaced. That's just from skimming through some receipts he gave me. He has put at least 3000 dollars into this car in maintenance in the last 2 years. When I brought it in for an oil change at a local Honda dealer the tech remarked that there were a lot of new parts on this Accord.

It is the EX model so it is power everything except for NAV. It is a 5 speed which I'm psyched about. Also has the sunroof and no leaks I can detect after running it through the wash. Nice heated leather seats, a/c and heat work great. The radio still lights up but he had some issue with the CD player. Instead of sinking $$ into replacing it, he put a Sony Bluetooth receiver in where the storage bin was down below the OEM radio. It works great and the steering wheel controls work with it too. Plus the BlueTooth works just fine with my new Nano. I imagine it will work with my Iphone as well.

I've sunk a few dollars into the last day or so. Friday I swung by the Honda dealer to have them do an oil change (was crunched for time and daylight hours)and today I put new rubber all the way around (Goodyear Assurance ComfortTred, V Rated) and also an alignment and inspection sticker.

Couple things I need to keep an eye on. In reading about this year it appears that these 2.4's like to eat a bit of oil. It was really low on the stick when I checked it out Saturday. NO blue smoke from the exhaust. I'll check again in a few weeks to see if the level has dropped at all. The clutch seems like it sticks sometimes and at times makes a creaking noise..then after a few shifts it goes away. Seems a little low to me as well but that could also be because I haven't had a stick as a DD since back in 2003 so it has been awhile.

Other than that it is fantastic. I see in the manual that it may be do for a tuneup at 110K and also a valve adjustment. The valves do sound a little chatty under acceleration but maybe normal on a Honda? I know they sound the same in my wife's 2010 Fit.

It has it's parking lot dings and scrapes and also ice scraper marks but I'm ok with that..less worrying when I park it now lol.

I took it out to Westover yesterday and staying with traffic (65-80 at times)I avg 32.2 mpg out and back. Not too bad at all. I replaced the cabin filter today and will put in a new Air Filter tomorrow.

Overall I'm very pleased with the car, it is an absolute blast to drive and I'm amazed at the top end power this engine puts out while in 5th gear. I'm really glad it is stick vs an auto.

The quality of the interior is fantastic. I want to say it is nicer quality and has less rattles than my 2011 Silverado.

Ok I've went on and on, sorry 'bout that! Here are a few pics I've snapped

I paid 5500 which I think was a fair price for this car

IMG_1983.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1985.jpg

IMG_1994.jpg

IMG_2002.jpg

Goose

Looks really nice.

$5.5k is a great price for a well looked after, up to date with major maintenance Honda. 100k miles on a Honda is nothing.

In comparison, I have a 2004 Taurus with 70k. Nowhere near as nice as what you have, I don't get the feeling that many items will last like they would on a Honda, and apparently I can trade it in for $5k.

Nice Accord! Looks like it's been well taken care of for a 9 year old car in New England. Here's hoping it provides many years of service!

It should repay itself after a few years, assuming no other major expenses.

Last edited:
Great buy, congrats.

The early Accord 2.4s from that generation had some real A/C issues, so it's a good thing that the previous owner already replaced the compressor.

A lot of them do consume some oil as they age, so I would not be surprised if this one does.

The valve adjustment is not a bad idea and bills out at 1.5 hr, so expect to pay $200 to get this done. The correct NGK plugs are $10-$12/ea and are easy to change.

I've seen "sticky" clutch pedals be resolved on G35s by simply flushing the clutch fluid, so it may be worth a shot.

With aluminum wheels, be sure to re-torque the lugs somewhere between 50 to 100 miles after they were put on.

I put a set of those comfort-track H rated on our 2001 Impala, best handling and best riding tires I have ever had on a car. It did take a while to find the best air pressure. Too much air and they handle great but get a little noisy, too little air and they get a little mushy. But there is a sweet spot on the air pressure where they are great tires.

As for your oil consumption. I wonder if GC would help reduce the loss, and I wonder if GC would cost you any significant MPG's.

Got to appreciated the quality of a car that one can look at with 111K on the clock and realize that it has many more reliable miles left on it.

Last edited:
I had the exact same car, but mine was a 2004, and was the graphite pearl color.

Loved the car. Engine had no low-end, but, as you said, it did fine on the highway.

Honda has a corporate philosophy of being an "engineering company." Due to that, they're very into finite element analysis. That is, they design componentry and parts to meet the minimum spec for estimated duty cycle.

What does that mean? Well, many of the parts (a few examples: smallish battery, smallish, dinky brake rotors, weak clutch) are not "heavy-duty."

On my Accord, the battery was so small that I couldn't leave the radio on even for the length of time it took to vacuum the car out, or it would go dead.

Clutch started chattering even after a few fast take-offs from traffic lights/stop signs. Wasn't major, but it was noticeable sometimes.

Brake rotors warped very quickly. I didn't have the car very long, relatively speaking - I got into dirt bikes and sold the car after 3 years and 38,000 miles.

These are just some of my experiences with it. Very well-made and refined car. Just could have used a little more power, especially on the bottom end (and top end, lol).

BTW, Honda went with a CVT on the 2013 Accord. I am wondering if that is going to be a big mistake regarding long term reliability and costs in the future when people are looking for a good used vehicle.

The hills of Pittsburgh are tough on transmissions. CVTs are extremely expensive to have fixed. And even if they do not fail, the fluid change intervals and cost are much more than a normal automatic.

Nissan had a CVT in their Murano and had sooooo many problems that they stopped production for a year and then went with a regular automatic. One of my brothers had one of those and the CVT went bad on it under warranty. They asked how much would it have cost to get fixed if it did not have the warranty, and the dealer said you don't want to know.

I kinda wonder if Honda is making the same mistake with a CVT in the Accord.

A creaking clutch pedal can be very annoying. You don't realize how often you push the clutch until it starts to squeak or creak every time.

My 04 civic creaked both at the pedal and under the hood. The pedal creaking was cured by pushing the pedal about 1/4 of the way down and spraying some white lithium spray grease in the hole on the firewall (from the inside under the dash) that the rod connected to the pedal goes through. Hold at 1/4, spray, push to 1/2, spray, then hold the pedal in that position for several sec. to give the grease time to dry up.

Once that was fixed mine felt like a new car. The under hood squeak still comes and goes but I haven't bothered to mess with it.

Correction, when Nissan resumed production of the Murano in 2009 after not producing them in 2008 they went with the engine mated to a revised Continuously Variable Transmission with Adaptive Shift Control.

Nice ride. The elusive EX-L with the 4 cylinder and 5 speed stick. We have a 2006, also silver with black interior. The new trunk & tail lights on the 2005 (?) and up definitely improved the overall appearance.

Funny you mention the clutch noise, ours also makes a sorta annoying squeaking/clicking noise. I'll have to get in there with some grease sometime.

jeff

Nice car!

My TL also has a creaky clutch but I only notice it on hot humid days. As soon as it gets cooler or dry air I don't get the creak sound.

I also did get under there and lubed up everything I could, but still get it once in a while. I believe there is a TSB out on the TL to get the slave cylinder replaced if it creaks. Since the TL shares a lot with the USDM Accord (which is what you have) I have a feeling the Accord could also use change as well.

If you have time and want to get rid of the creak, then try it. I will try to post the TSB for the TL.

$5500 is a wonderful deal. Nice car and love that its a 5speed with nice leather interior.

Great looking car...
2.4/5MT combo should be about as good as it gets for reliability.
Have had no powertrain troubles whatsoever with my 1.8/5MT Civic.
Good luck with it although I'm sure it will be good.

My mother has an '03 4 cyl EX, although it is an automatic.
I've made a few long highway trips with her in the car, and it's a no-nonsense machine.
I've always said that Accords are closet sport sedans, especially sticks.
Firm ride, flawless tracking, good power at any speed and remarkable fuel economy in fast driving.
Had I found a stick seventh generation car like yours at such a decent price, I'd have bought it over my '12.
You should get another 100K easy with few problems.
Nice car, well bought.
Good for you.
Those are also some of the nicest alloys Honda ever put on a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back