Empty lots

I like how they toss around the term "microchip". I've not see a macrochip, at least not yet. Maybe it's macro if it gets over 4mm on a side? That would be pretty big.

Anyhow. IC's tend to be rather specialized, and not all that interchangeable. Getting a batch of them isn't saying much: a car no doubt has microprocessors of several flavors, RAM, ROM, amplifiers, voltage regulators, voltage convertors, CAN transceivers, and a whole host of different microchips. Leave out one and it's not going to work. Saying GM got a batch of microchips is like saying they got truckload of bolts.
I still believe the issue is "modules", NOT "chips"-it's not like the assembly line is sitting at a solder station soldering chips onto boards! Another example of dumbing down stories for the masses...

My biggest concern is the cloning that seems possible of the signal from the fob-unless you leave your fob in a Faraday or lead box at night. Losing them gets expensive too.

There has been very, very few instances of this. But you can make a regular key if you know the VIN and have the right reference materials...can't you? It's hardly something to lose sleep over-or to sway a purchase decision to a less desirable vehicle because it has a "metal key". I will send you a pm if somebody steals my vehicle with the FOB.

Last edited:
I still believe the issue is "modules", NOT "chips"-it's not like the assembly line is sitting at a solder station soldering chips onto boards! Another example of dumbing down stories for the masses...

"Chips" is just used to define the whole situation-but at the end of the day what does it matter? The cars are sitting on the dirt lot and you can't buy one. I'm originally from California-we use the term "Earthquake" and not the movement of "tectonic layers" of the Earth's crust. The ground is shaking......what ever description you use.

Last edited:
Still have to take a mitten off to work the push start button though, along with working the various controls. I only lock my car at a few stores so I could dig them out of a pocket once in the car, usually its not locked though.

As much as the fob is nice, my wallet still prefers keys. I had two keys cut for $3 for my beater. I used to buy a set of tires for I read about key fob price!
What car is this? Both my cars have keyless go and you don't need to take mittens off to push the start button. Same with the door handles. Yeah, lost keyless go fobs are about $500+, some of the newer models want $700 for a keyless go fob. But I would suggest not losing it. I would attach a Tile or Airtags to a key fob these days, much cheaper than a new key.
My biggest concern is the cloning that seems possible of the signal from the fob-unless you leave your fob in a Faraday or lead box at night. Losing them gets expensive too.
That's just sensationalized in the news, I think that happens in foreign countries where the thieves are smarter. The thieves here are too stupid to do cloning when they can just use a gun and carjack you. It's not a concern for me because I'm in the city and the car is parked out on the street, you'd have to know what unit I'm in in order to get close enough to do the cloning and then I think you're still too far away and you need a key to get into the common area before you're even close enough to do any cloning. Plus there's cameras everywhere. Cloning might be a worry if you're living in a single family with the car in the driveway.

There has been very, very few instances of this. But you can make a regular key if you know the VIN and have the right reference materials...can't you? It's hardly something to lose sleep over-or to sway a purchase decision to a less desirable vehicle because it has a "metal key". I will send you a pm if somebody steals my vehicle with the FOB.
Oh yeah the newer fobs also shut down after a few minutes if it doesn't detect any movement so you don't have any cloning worry there. The older fob you could shut off with a couple lock keypresses. I think mine are even older and don't have those features. But in 7+ years, they haven't been stolen yet. Plus isn't that what insurance is for?

Mercedes cuts keys based on VIN, you just have to go to the dealer with the car so they can verify ownership and they just order a key from Texas and you get it in a few days. I don't think they give out that reference material so you probably have to be a locksmith to get it or have the right equipment to make a new key.

I had two keys cut for $3 for my beater. I used to buy a set of tires for I read about key fob price!
I did a edmunds used car valuation for S&Gs. One of the questions was whether I had both sets of keys.

What car is this? Both my cars have keyless go and you don't need to take mittens off to push the start button. Same with the door handles. Yeah, lost keyless go fobs are about $500+, some of the newer models want $700 for a keyless go fob. But I would suggest not losing it. I would attach a Tile or Airtags to a key fob these days, much cheaper than a new key.
2021 Camry. Have to admit, not tried, am assuming here, but it looks small button for a good heavy duty mitten. Light duty gloves, probably no issue, but I prefer lobster mits in winter.

I leave my fob on the dresser, harder to lose that way. Its also huge, too much space on my carabiner where I carry all my other car keys.

2021 Camry. Have to admit, not tried, am assuming here, but it looks small button for a good heavy duty mitten. Light duty gloves, probably no issue, but I prefer lobster mits in winter.

I leave my fob on the dresser, harder to lose that way. Its also huge, too much space on my carabiner where I carry all my other car keys.
That button looks like a normal sized button, you just need to press it, not use your fingers on it. Probably a knuckle would still work.

Well if it's alone, it's easier to lose than if it's with a bunch of other keys, a tile or airtag might help find it if you ever misplace it. Way cheaper than a new key.

I would think wearing mittens in the car would make it troublesome to do several things besides pushing a start button.

I would think wearing mittens in the car would make it troublesome to do several things besides pushing a start button.
FYI-
Chevrolet made the knobs in the Silverado large enough so wearing gloves is not an issue. They used that feature as a marketing point. But it's next to impossible to push the remote start button on the FOB with gloves on. So I can still stand in the house and start the truck. The truck turns on the heater, locks the doors and sets the seat warmer all by itself.

I have to turn on the heated steering wheel when I get in. :)

Last edited:
Well if it's alone, it's easier to lose than if it's with a bunch of other keys, a tile or airtag might help find it if you ever misplace it. Way cheaper than a new key.
Arguably, but I didn’t want to scratch it up. Weird I know, but since I rarely drive the car, it can sit someplace safe until needed. Then I have to figure out here to carry it, as my pockets are always full of stuff.

Indeed. But many here point out that you don’t have to take your gloves off to fish out car keys—my counterpoint is that likely one has to anyhow, once inside the car, so as to fiddle with the controls. Net sum zero in my mind, at least from a glove perspective (rarely is it that cold that I couldn’t stand to be gloveless for a few seconds outside).

Arguably, but I didn’t want to scratch it up. Weird I know, but since I rarely drive the car, it can sit someplace safe until needed. Then I have to figure out here to carry it, as my pockets are always full of stuff.

Indeed. But many here point out that you don’t have to take your gloves off to fish out car keys—my counterpoint is that likely one has to anyhow, once inside the car, so as to fiddle with the controls. Net sum zero in my mind, at least from a glove perspective (rarely is it that cold that I couldn’t stand to be gloveless for a few seconds outside).

I agree. The AirTag idea is a great one for those whose have trouble keeping track of things.

The controls in cars are getting smaller all the time.

I checked Towne Ford in Redwood City CA, just their website. Ford Edges can be had at a discount on the few they say they have. If someone wants a Mustang GT500, they need to bring an extra 25k over msrp it seems. No wonder people are buying Teslas at their factory price. I think Bronco Sports were 1000 over msrp, not bad! 😆 This is the catch, it may be on the lot and the description online states the msrp. Well it’s true but that isn’t the price they want.

The dealer Lots at the Ray Skillman dealerships in Greenwood Indiana are full....

if anyone is in the market for a car (new or used), go for it.

IMO, while some of the used car insanity will die down, we are not going back to 2019 used car prices until the economy gets hit with a big downturn.

And for anyone following politics, all it takes is for Russia to ban palladium/platinum/nickel exports to Europe/US and instead of module-chip shortages, we'll see catalytic converter or alloy shortages.

if anyone is in the market for a car (new or used), go for it.

IMO, while some of the used car insanity will die down, we are not going back to 2019 used car prices until the economy gets hit with a big downturn.

And for anyone following politics, all it takes is for Russia to ban palladium/platinum/nickel exports to Europe/US and instead of module-chip shortages, we'll see catalytic converter or alloy shortages.
I have not heard anything about catalytic converter thefts going down.

You would think you would need to show ID to sell one every set. Of time or something but no you can go into a scrap yard with like 20 or 30 or 50 or shopping carts full of catalytic converters and just get paid money for them so that's why people steal them

By the way it was your post about the precious metals that made me think of my comment

I think that's a really good topic if used car prices are still insane and out of touch with reality or if they're going to go back to normal soon or what that normal is I know someone that seriously thought about buying a car but instead I had them take over my other one because I wanted them to save some money but I'm wondering when and if things will get back to normal there

I have not heard anything about catalytic converter thefts going down.

You would think you would need to show ID to sell one every set. Of time or something but no you can go into a scrap yard with like 20 or 30 or 50 or shopping carts full of catalytic converters and just get paid money for them so that's why people steal them

By the way it was your post about the precious metals that made me think of my comment

Most Scrap Yards are ran/owned by shady individuals, Wreaking Yards are just as bad.

The dealer Lots at the Ray Skillman dealerships in Greenwood Indiana are full....

I talked to them in Nov about deals and CX5s. It didn't seem like they were as low on inventory compared to all Mazda dealerships in IL. They even had "markdowns" on a few of their cars.

Back