Employment

I figured I'd try and network on here, currently working a job in pest control but its definitely not a career. I have experience in logistics, oilfield (rigging, wireline) I was working a great job in logistics for the past two years but it was covid related and that ended in October '22. I'm soon to be 32, not married and no children so I have no family obligations and can work anywhere around the country or internationally for extended periods of time if need be. I have an associates in petroleum engineering technology, I live in South Louisiana, many oilfield jobs but most available now the pay isnt great at all. I just thought I'd network here to see if any of you may know of any job openings, or any places where the economy is bustling. I'm mechanically inclined, have a good head on my shoulders, and willing to put in an honest days work. Thanks guys

How much approx per hour are you wanting to make ?

I thought oil field jobs paid well but boom & bust cycles.

Last edited:
General Dynamics/Electric Boat is hiring 5-6K people by the end of 2023, mostly in SE CT and RI; I met a guy working @ subway who had just finished up his BS degree @ university of connecticut and EB is training him to do pipe fitting. Plenty of diversity manufacturing, moving, assembling and maintaining subs.

The Boeing Company has been hiring like crazy in the Seattle/Tacoma area. They also have a substantial plant in South Carolina.

Drive a OTR truck until the next Presidential election, then get a Oil field job! ..they will be in demand then.

Have you considered being an electrician?

I’ve met many ex oil rig guys who’ve turned electrical.

A quick search revealed a pair of jobs requiring just a high school diploma and a bit of experience you probably already have. 30 years and age 60 for full retirement. I took a job there in 1991 and never looked back, retiring in early 2022. You are at the perfect age for an Amtrak job.

GE Healthcare has the medical equipment (Biomed) and diagnostic imaging (Radiology) service contract with entire Ochsner Health System. GE has paid apprenticeship program for Biomed techs and you can apply since you have an associates degree.

The apprenticeship program is max 1 year but GE usually hire by the 6 month timeframe into a full-time position. Heck… they might hire you into a full-time position with your work experience… ?

After a few years of Biomed it can lead you into a field service engineer position with GE….. or many other medical equipment / lab / ventilators/ robotics / surgical lasers, etc… manufacturers.

Siemens pays well for their lab chemistry analyzer FSE positions.

Lots of manufacturers hire military folks directly into FSE positions cause they have 4 years of electronics, mechanical and troubleshooting skills on some very high end stuff.

BMET on Reddit has some good info.

Last edited:
I figured I'd try and network on here, currently working a job in pest control but it’s ere definitely not a career. I have experience in logistics, oilfield (rigging, wireline) I was working a great job in logistics for the past two years but it was covid related and that ended in October '22. I'm soon to be 32, not married and no children so I have no family obligations and can work anywhere around the country or internationally for extended periods of time if need be. I have an associates in petroleum engineering technology, I live in South Louisiana, many oilfield jobs but most available now the pay isnt great at all. I just thought I'd network here to see if any of you may know of any job openings, or any places where the economy is bustling. I'm mechanically inclined, have a good head on my shoulders, and willing to put in an honest days work. Thanks guys

Here is link for paid apprenticeship.
Get paid while you learn.

I'm in BC Canada, and can tell you there is a huge shortage of truck drivers, equipment operators, mechanics, electricians, plumbers, builders, window installers, farm hands, chefs, and more.
Basically if a person is willing to work, they can be choosy about who they go to work for.

Back